Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your child afraid of Flies?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 3191 Total Views

My 4 yr old PDD son is terrified of flies, even if he know that they are on the other side of the window.  I was just wondering if anyone else has a child who screams and cries everytime they see a fly?  How do I help him get over it?

by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM

No. My kids are hardly afraid of anything.

KathySRW
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Yes!! Even last summer my then-9-year-old son, who has Asperger's Syndrome,screamed and cried and ran out of the room if there was even just 1 fly nearby.  I keep pointing out they don't sting, and the kind we get in the house don't bite, but his fear is so primal, it doesn't really matter to him. He even panicked if we took him to the park and he saw one outside! Same with a moth, no matter how small. He's 10 this year, and we'll soon find out if he still has the same problem, this summer.

mom2jandm
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Oh YES!  Been there!  The worst is while driving and there is a bug flying around inside the car. 

As far as what to do...My son is now 7 1/2 and still gets bothered by any flying bug.  I try to stay calm, and to turn it into a "silly" situation.  Such as...Silly fly!  What are you doing inside?  You belong outside.  Bugs are not supposed to be in the house!...and then I proceed to "put" it back outside.

I think they freak my son out because it's something that he has no control over.  I would suggest, at least with the ones on the outside, showing your son that it can't get to him by putting your hand over the glass in the area of the fly.  Does he enjoy books?  Maybe a book about different kinds of bugs???  I don't know if any of this helps.  Good Luck!

beksmom523
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 9:28 AM

OMG this is too funny.  i thought it was just my kid.  She is 10 and still freaks everytime she sees a fly.  Doesn't seem to be bothered much by other bugs but definately flies.  We too try to stay calm and reassure her that it is just a fly.  Doesn't usually work until fly is gone but we try.  We have also tried giving her a fly swatter but that didn't work well so usually she just brings them to us while screaming bloody murder.  Good luck. 

KatsMom01
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 10:18 AM

This is really too funny!  Not funny to them or even to us at the time mind you!

My 8 year old daughter is terrified by flies, and small bees.  I can understand the bees (though she's never been stung), but she just doesn't understand the difference between the two.  I've had her scare me half to death by letting lose a high pitched scream from the back seat of the car because they was a fly buzzing around. I can imagine what people passing by were thinking while we were pulled over, and me trying to frantically swat a fly out of the car!

~Sheila~  jigsaw ribbonHomeschooling by God's Grace

Kimmp
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 10:18 AM

"by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 5:56 AM

Oh YES!  Been there!  The worst is while driving and there is a bug flying around inside the car. " ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yup, I agree!  My 7 yo. daughter (Aspergers) is terrified of bugs.  Recently, there was a spider, a very, very small spider in my van and the screaming---OMG!  If there's a bug (fly, ant, moth, butterfly, bee) anywhere near her, she starts screaming and trying to get away.

The exception is roly polies and snails, she will bend over and look at them.

Austinsmom35
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Austin is fearless with most things, but he is terrified of bumble bees.  I can't ride with the windows down in the car because he's afraid they'll get in. If there is a fly in the house and he hears it buzz, he's convinced it's a bee coming to get him!  I wrote a short social story about bees and how to behave around them.   It has helped us some, Maybe you can try this with your child. 

Bekahsmom00
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2009 at 8:17 AM
My daughter is afraid of anything that flies. Crawling bugs are not bad. I think the reason is she can not tell where they are going to go next she struggles with being able to predict what people around her a re going to do in any given situation can you imagine with the small think buzzing around her along with that I think she may be more sensitive to the buzzing noise that they make. It is nice to know she is not the only one but I would venture a guess that this is probably pretty common.
Growing2Fast
by Member on Apr. 18, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Our son didn't used to be, but this spring he has started freaking out over bugs.  Even gnats flying around.  And those mosquito hawks/crane flies make him flip out big time.  This is a truly bad phobia to have living in Louisiana!  When we head out to visit family living in the country he runs around wearing a pair of little red cowboy boots, pants, long sleeve shirts, gloves, ear muffs, a hat and goggles so that the bugs can't "get in".  He's a site!  Once the heat really begins to kick in around hear he's going to be miserably hot.

~JEN~ family car

momdicca
by Member on Apr. 18, 2009 at 11:10 AM

My son is scared of bees. He is scared if he just see one outside the window. I thought it was just him though LOL he does like other bugs though and he like to collect worms and caterpillars it is just bees he is scared of

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)