Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother's Day Comfort ~ grab the tissues!

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 348 Total Views

Even though I am not christian, it doesn't mean I cannot see the message for what it is meant to be. I found this in another journal post and I just had to share it here. It doesn't matter what any of us believe, it's the message that made me cry in happiness and comfort.

Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures and a couple by habit. Did you ever wonder how mothers of children with autism are chosen? Somehow I visualize God hovering over earth selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger.

"Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron Saint Matthew."

"Forrest, Marjorie, daughter, Patron Saint Cecilia."

"Rutledge, Carrie, twins. Patron Saint Gerard. He's used to profanity."

Finally, He passes a name to an angel, Taylor, Julie, son. God smiles, "Give her a child with autism." The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy."

"Exactly", smiles God. "Could I give a child with autism to a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel".

"But has she the patience?" asks the angel.

"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it. I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and independence that is so rare and so necessary in a mother. You see, the child I am going to give her has his own world. She has to make him live in her world and that's not going to be easy."

"But, Lord, I don't know if she even believes in you."

God smiles. "No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness."

The angel gasps. "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"

God nods. "If she cannot separate herself from the child occasionally, she will never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with less than perfect."

"She does not realize it yet, but she is to be envied. I will permit her to see clearly the things I see .... ignorance, cruelty, prejudice ... and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as if she is here by my side."

"And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in mid air. God smiles. "A mirror will suffice."

by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM

thanks for printing that especially at Mothers day time!!!!  

I was once having a bad day in the store with my oldest (17) who has ADHD, ODD and PDD-nos, and on off days is more than two handfuls.  As we went along our business, we kept running into the same woman with her perfect little angels, and at young ages neither one touched a thing, were always kind and loving and never asked for a thing!   At one point, my son, threw a fit over the store not having in stock his favorite cereal AGAIN, and I just stood there, and she must have heard me mumble under my breath, that I needed my patron saint, who ever that was................she patted me on the back, and smiled and told me to go look in the mirror, she'll be there.

About 2 days later someone sent me that story, and I just cried....................

by Head Admin on May. 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM

My Mother gave me that in a frame for mother's day last year . I have it on my journal in my homepage . The only thing that was not on there was the last part , was the mirror how beautiufl ,,, I have it on my wall , I also got a trophy too .. Have a wonderful Mother day love you all !! Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone I so love it alot .....we are all special moms ..........

by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 10:36 PM

by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM

my dd is 18 with ASD . She also has brain damage that causes accute siezure disorder. my mother gave that poem years ago but i lost it in a house fire.i sometimes forget that i'm blessed with her. Some days the stress is just unbelieveable. but, i truly am grateful for my beautiful Daughter. and i believe she has indeed made me a better person. Now i have a grandson with Autism, and my experience is a great help to my daughter. because when he has a meltdown she can't handle it. i simply hold him till it passes. She'll ask me how i can do it? I simply tell her honey i've been here before. A two years meltdown isn't anything, wait till he's 16 and over 6 foot rolling on floor

by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:40 PM

thank you so much for that, i really needed it.

by Member on May. 12, 2009 at 1:12 AM

That is very beautiful and I have never read it.  Thank you for sharing!!!

by Member on May. 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM

That was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing that.

From 1 special mother to another,

by New Member on Jun. 26, 2009 at 1:39 PM

tears, tears, tears....i so much needed to read this....13 months ago i lost a very dear friend that told me what this story is saying is true...many days i have to remember it when i get exhausted and think i cannot do it any longer, or wonder why GOD didnt give my son a better mom....two days ago we lost her 24yo daughter to a freak accidental drowning...i was just talking to her and GOD on my lunch break at work saying i need some strength to grieve and still be all the mom I can be for my son...i just asked my friend's and daughter's spirit to keep looking over me and help me make the best decisions i can when it comes to advocating for him...havent read my cafemoms for a couple of weeks and the one i pick today is this fantastic story telling me i can do it, it will be okay even when i dont know it or see it....reading this just made me grateful my son picked me...happy belated mommy day to all the special women with blessed and special auties!group hug

by on Jun. 26, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Awww, I am so sorry that you have to go through with losing people. But I am glad that you found this poem and I very glad that it helped you. You prayed for them to watch over you and they showed you this peom. To me, that says it all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)