• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Bullies

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:59 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 288 Total Views
hello I am new to this forum, having just joined. My grandson has asperger's and reads way above his grade and high school level science. As with other asperger's he gets caught in loops of focusing on one thing for hours.
BUT this is what has me upset today, my son just emailed me from TN, and yesterday my GS was purposely hit in the head by another boy with his locker door, the kid kicked it and my GS received a concussion. He is 12 years old and has been bullied since kindergarten, even by teachers. I love my GS very deeply and the school said is the kid was disciplined to the extent. Well what is the extent, I asked my son. Seems he didn't know!
 My GS gets no understanding and love at home or school!!! I would have been over there and filed a police report, and I would want to know what the school did to this bully. My son and wife know my GS is different but do not seem to want to deal with it. There is no talking to them about it.
The minute my GS gets home from school, there is no hi, no snack, NO it is lets see your assignment book and he has to sit alone for hours until it is done, or write 200 times "I will do my homework", I call this abuse!! They call it teaching him responsibility!!!
I live in IL. What do you all do when your child is hurt at school by bullies?? Sorry for being so wordy, but I am so veryyy upset.
                                                                               Thanks

Edit Quote Reply Delete ReplyWalk with the Sun; Dance with the Moon; Sing with the Stars; But always...Run with the Wind. -
Snow Owl, Nevada. December 8, 2001

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
2nsmom
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 9:05 AM
Hold on, did you say he was being bullied by teachers too? That's very disturbing. You should take it to the school board yourself, if your son and his wife don't seem to want to help. This is just my opinion, but it sounds like they are still in denial over their son's DX, and that can be hurting him. His grades may be high, but his self esteem is low from the lack of nurturing at home. Bullies tend to look for someone like that because they are vulnerable. Your son and his wife may benefit from support groups for parents of autistic and Aspberger's children. Good advice and a shoulder to lean on from parents who are in the same place may better help them deal with their son's disability and be able to raise him in a way that benefits him emotionally. Definitely go to the school board with your complaint, though. It's unfortunate that sometimes school officials wear blinders to the individual needs of children like ours and as a loving grandparent (which I see you are), you should step up to the plate for your GS while your son and his wife get the help they need. My heart goes out to you. Please message me anytime.

AUDREY
MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on May. 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I am so sorry about your grandson . I don't understand why some parents are the way they are ... Kinda makes me sad .. As the grand mother tho it is hard due to the rights that the parents have they are the ones that they are going to listen to . I just wanted to send my love and concern to you and your Grandson . you sound like you love him a lot .  I am so sorry i wish that I could give you more advise but from my experience with the school they really only listen to what the parents have to say or if they bring the issues up to the School District .. And the saddest part is at home too . i really feel for you and hang in there I know you love your Grandson and I can tell your heart is breaking for him ........ Best of luck . hang in there thanks and welcome to the group .. there are alot of grandma here you will see this . Stick around and see just how many there are out there that have taken on the roll ........ Bless your heart .I am sorry I just saw you lived in another state from your grandson . Call the school and ask to speak with the teacher and or the School administrator . Just let them know that you are aware of what is happening and you would like it very much if they could look into the situation for you ..Let them think that you have all the power of attorney to this child . they know no different unless the parents have told the schools not to listen to what you might have to say .Very unhappy with the lack of care that they are giving your grandson ..At least they know you know what is going on so hopefully they will keep a better eye on him ... know that feel of just complete powerlessness . but you do have some so use what you have .  Go get um Grand mama . YOU LOVE YOUR GRANDSON ALOT .. THAT AWESOME ... 

flyawaynow
by New Member on May. 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have to be cautious with my son as to what I say, he becomes to defensive and seems to think GS is just bull headed. They continue to be in denial even though GS has been diagnosed for a long time.

I have a friend who offered to pay for GS to go to a private special school and they have blown that off. Since the new baby came I feel it has become worst. my son so wanted a boy who was "OK". I feel so helpless. I have one child and Isaac is my first grandson, yes we are very bonded.

because Isaac is so veryy smart he sometimes corrects the teachers, and he is right, this has caused some of the teachers not to like him. I know he knows his MeMa will be here for him and that I love him just as he is, I feel he may someday come to live with me. I don't know, wishful thinking???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)