• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting them to stop and listen when on bike.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:56 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 231 Total Views
Jacob will be 3 in a few weeks. He has poor receptive language and expressive... receptive is worse. His diagnosis is PDD-NOS. Yesterday we were in the driveway and he was on his tricyle... not peddling but pushing with his feet. We have a long driveway. The problem I have with Jacob is when I tell him to stop and turn around he just does not listen, understand, and starts to have a fit ( which is very uncommon for him). I need to teach him how far he can go in the driveway then he has to turn around. I walk up the driveway with him... he is never that far away from me because he will not stop when I call to him. This can happen in other situations too. Yesterday when I couldn't get him to turn around , I had to scoop him up and carry him in the house. I was telling him why I did it... I don't know if he understood. do I just keep doing that when he doesn't listen? How do you handle it with your child? In the case of riding bikes in the driveway do you put something visual in the driveway so he/she knows this is as far as they can go and have to turn around. I was worried that might be a distraction and draw him towards it. When could your child get the concept of turning the handlebars to take a corner or turn around? When do they start focusing and looking straight ahead and not looking all around?

And another issue is about when its time to go in the house from being outside. I feel like I have to bribe him with juice, food or a video. Do any of you use a timer to let your asd child know its time to go in or what and how does it go for you?
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mamatware
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I use visual cues with my kids-all of them, not just Robby.  Sidewalk chalk is an excellent tool-it's not permanent, I draw red line across the driveway, and stop sign.  In the backyard with the swings, I use spray paint and spray a box that they need to stay out of if they aren't on a swing to avoid getting pummled by another kid on a swing, I have to redo my box everytime hubby mows the grass, so it isn't permanent either.  I also plan my routine around those things.  I put snack time after outside time, to use "let's go in for snack" to get them in.  I also put outside after clean up time, because then the faster they clean up the more time they get outside things like that.  I use a timer, because then I can lay "blame" somewhere else.  When the timer goes off they know....it's the timer saying it, not me, and you can't argue with a timer.  I know I set the timer and I am in charge of the timer, it helps us a lot.  I tend to blame other things/people a lot to avoid arguements with the kids, it works, it's the timer not me, the guy on tv says you can't play outside because it's raining, the guy on tv says it's time to sit in the closet (we have a lot of severe weather here, and tornado sirens=kids in the closet).  If the directive is coming from something they can't argue with, they don't even try, I use that to my advantage!

JacobsMommy705
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:57 PM
Quoting mamatware:

I use visual cues with my kids-all of them, not just Robby.  Sidewalk chalk is an excellent tool-it's not permanent, I draw red line across the driveway, and stop sign.  In the backyard with the swings, I use spray paint and spray a box that they need to stay out of if they aren't on a swing to avoid getting pummled by another kid on a swing, I have to redo my box everytime hubby mows the grass, so it isn't permanent either.  I also plan my routine around those things.  I put snack time after outside time, to use "let's go in for snack" to get them in.  I also put outside after clean up time, because then the faster they clean up the more time they get outside things like that.  I use a timer, because then I can lay "blame" somewhere else.  When the timer goes off they know....it's the timer saying it, not me, and you can't argue with a timer.  I know I set the timer and I am in charge of the timer, it helps us a lot.  I tend to blame other things/people a lot to avoid arguements with the kids, it works, it's the timer not me, the guy on tv says you can't play outside because it's raining, the guy on tv says it's time to sit in the closet (we have a lot of severe weather here, and tornado sirens=kids in the closet).  If the directive is coming from something they can't argue with, they don't even try, I use that to my advantage!

Good reply! thank you... didn't think about using sidewalk chalk!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)