Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any of your kids have weight issues, too big/too small

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:35 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 625 Total Views

My son is 10yrs old and is very heavy.  We watch what we eat, he loves veggies and fruits, no sodas but he still is gaining weight. we never watched it before so I know how he got here . I feel just awful, He's always hungry. Has his meals scheduled in his head. and people are just mean, with school starting i'm scared it will get worse. Any one going through this or have any advice. Thanks

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jalemans
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Our little guy was a very chubby baby, but he lost his baby fat early & then we were worried about how scrawny he was.  He definately has texture issues with food.  He is now GFCF & his weight is now about normal & he has shot up in height also.  He has some sensory issues & I don't think he always realizes when he is hungry and he stops eating half way through his meals.  Anyway, maybe there is a sensory thing going on with your son that causes him to feel hungry all the time, even when he isn't.  Just a thought.

momofAly
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Sadly I don't have too much advice.  But I go through the same things with my daughter, who is 5.  She always seems to be hungry but its really that routine thing that keeps her going.  She wants 3 snacks at night and can't always read her hunger signals so she just figures its time to eat.  Last time she went to the doctor she talked to Alyson about it a little.  Told her things like ice cream is not ok all the time and Kids Cuisine frozen meals are OK just once in a while, and chicken nuggets are "sometimes" food.    So I try to use that to my advantage as much as possible.  But I too have the same issues and am constantly struggling with that.  And now she probably needs to start taking medication that is going to make it worse most likely.  Its a never ending battle.  Best of luck to all of us in this predicament!

Jodi, Mom of Emily and Alyson, my princesskiss mini and my angelangel mini

PJSMOMMIE
by Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM

i wish i could help you... pj our 7 year old is almost 4 1/2 ft. tall  and only 55 lbs. we keep asking if hes to thin to his dr.s and they say hes ok but dang hes just skin and bones and he eats everything in sight. wish he would gain a little bit hes all leg and no waist ... killer when buying pants lol

Co-Admin To:
  Are you a NY Mom of a child with Special Needs? Join Us-click here!!

Know someone with Cerebral Palsy? Join Understanding & Living with Cerebral Palsy 

MamaRita
by Group Owner on Jul. 29, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Lane is 10 & has never had a weight problem, but I know a lot of ASD children do. Lane is a big boy, but not over weight at all, I feel now he may be if he wasn't so active. He swims & jumps on the trampoline almost every day for hours. He is 5 ft tall, weighs around 90 lbs, but has big features.

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM

When my son was growing up everyone and the Doctor kept telling me he was overweight , I new he would grow into it , just like you had said my son was the same way he never ate any thing that has sugar or soda's sweets , just the three meals a day . I am not sure but is there anyone that is tall in your family . My Son grew right into his weight . If you look at his pictures he was huge when he was younger . Now he is perfect . So don't worry try those exercise balls for him to sit on if he is watched T/V those are very good for them and also it helps with there sensory issues also . Plus the trampolines that helps are kiddo's and they love them .. Good luck .

cindie83099
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:41 PM

My 9 y/o Ryan has weight issues too.  He is about 5 feet tall and goes about 160 lbs.  I wish I had a suggestion for you, but I don't know what to do myself.  I try to limit snacks etc... but he is a very picky eater and I am having the same difficulties.  Hugs to you Momma!! 

Proud mom to Ryan and Ronnie 
           my Angel and my Boo Boo

mommamia1966
by Member on Aug. 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies. It has been a daunting few days trying to limit his intake and teach him how to tell when he is hungry and when he is full. I will keep you all posted and if anyone has an ahha moment let me know.

Thanks again

mommamia

mom2boys1997
by Member on Aug. 2, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Both my sons are in the 90th percentile for height and weight.  They are not consi9odered over weight, but are high risk for it as they get older.

The doc wants them on gluten and casein free diets. 

My sons taking a self defense class.

Unicorn1110
by Member on Aug. 2, 2009 at 8:12 PM

My son did not start having weight issues till about 7-8 when we started meds. Some of them cause such weight gain then he got in the habit of eating all the time. Now he is vaslty over weight for his height and age. Now knowing what I do at some of these meds it was not worth the benifits they may have had now with the weight issues which bring there own set of health issues.

Andrea10kidz
by New Member on Sep. 14, 2009 at 9:20 AM

All of my 10 kids have weight issues. My oldest daughter, Sophia, is 18 and is 5' 4. She only weighs 45 lbs and hardly eats anything. My oldest son, Patrick, is a tall 17 year old. He is 6'4 and weighs 170 lbs. He is taller then what his father was before he died with stomach cancer. Their father was only 6'0. My 15 year old, Mikey, is 4'3 and weighs 150 lbs. My 14 year old, Nikki, is 5'10 and weighs 75 lbs. my, my 11 year old is 4'4 and weighs 55 lbs. My 9 year old twin boys, Clayton and Andy, are both around 5'7 and weigh about 46 lbs. They are the skinniest 9 year olds I have ever seen! My 6 year old, Austin, is 3'9 and weighs 120 lbs. My 8 year old, Danny, is 5'0 and 50 lbs. My 4 year old, Brad, is 2'9 and 68 lbs. So, all of my kids all have weight issues. Austin, Brad, and  Sophia are bing watched very closely by their doctor because they need to gain some more weight as they get older and taller.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)