Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 261 Total Views

I need a list of RED FLAGS for autism.

Idk how to go about this. I JUST met a new friend last week. Last night we got together for our first dinner with our families. My almost 5 yr old is autistic and epileptic.

Well her 5 yr old has a heart murmur and lots of medical problems....well i think she's missed her own son's delays.

Her son is going to be 3 next month. My husband said hello to her son and she said 'oh he doesnt talk yet'.  Almost 3 and never said first word...well as we watch him play with others, we noticed many patterns from isaac. Squeals a lot, they call him their siren. He toe walks so much his toes permantely curl when he stands flatfooted (which isn't often anyhow). He was facinated with vibrations of toys on him. He does have eye contact, but we all know that doesn't mean anything...anyhow, she asked which one was autistic. I told her which one and she said 'id never noticed', my thoughts are, of course not, she doesn't recognize her own son's delays! He has issues with sharing, very aggressive. I need a way to gently show her some signs, she's on myspace and often reads EVERYTHING I post so I think that's the way to go and see if she gets my subtle hints. If not, I'll outright ask what his drs are saying about the no speech, and try to convince her to see a developmental pediatirician. This kid is very hyperactive as well. Always into something and destructive. (none of this bothers me as I've dealt with Isaac, but a 'normal' mom of all normal children would see her son as a mean, bully or brat).

I'm Jess...wife to Jared...Mama of 4. 3ofmyown+1ofhis=4kids:   Amanda (sd) 9, Amethyst  6, Isaac 4 & Elijah 2.  Isaac has special needs: autism and epilepsy. I support Nursing In Public and am anti-vaccines.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Jul. 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I DIDN'T FINSIH WHAT I WAS WRITING LOL !!!  That's what having a child with autism does to ya ,,, Your right in the middle of doing something then you forget . WOW LOL !! I was going to say do you think that she is just not wanting to face reality with her child .. The heart murmur I am sure has her nervousenough already that to face another challenge just might be to much for this mom at this time in her life .. Bless you for being there for her but we can only do so much then it is up to the parents of the child to take it from there .. Good luck with throwing out the hints to her . Just some parent might not want to help there kids' like all of us do .. Who knows .. very sad on the little guys part he not getting the help he needs and I see your worries are more for the child which it totally understandable .... I couldn't say what I would do but diffiently would do something ..

willsmomstacie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Try posting a link to the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (MCHAT).  Here it is...

http://www2.gsu.edu/~psydlr/Diana_L._Robins,_Ph.D._files/M-CHAT_new.pdf

And here's the scoring sight

http://www.firstsigns.org/downloads/m-chat_scoring.PDF

Willsmomstacie

Will, diagnosed at 18 months w/ASD, non-verbal, no eye contact, no play or social skills.  Now 4, VERY verbal, great eye contact, great play skills and increadibly social.  He's on the road to recovery with ABA therapy and biomedical intervention.

Spread the word - Autism is TREATABLE!!  Many stereotypical behaviors of autism are symptoms of underlying undiagnosed/misdiagnosed/unrecognized medical issues that can be addressed.  Come join us and learn more about biomedical interventions for spectrum disorders.  www.cafemom.com/group/biomedmammas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)