Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I locate a developmental pediatrician?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 245 Total Views

Anyone know how to locate specifically a "Developmental Pediatrican" in my area, as opposed to just our regular pediatrician??? 

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
destiny29
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I would recommend calling your local chapter of the Autism Society, they will have all the links to the resources in your area. If they don't know, for some reason, I would try asking for a referal from your family doctor. Hope this helps!

mamatware
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I found ours by going to our insurance website, then checking for Children's hospitals, and then going to the hospitals website to see if they have a dp, and found ours that way, it was actually pretty quick.   

Kate00
by Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Hi -

Our regular pediatrician was able to give us some names.  I wanted to warn you about something that you might run into ... our insurance covers 2 DP's.  One isn't accepting new patients at all.  We called the other in June, said call back in July for an appointment in October.  We called back in July, and were told to call back in September or October.  So basically we are unable to get an appointment with her.  We are working through our insurance to get gap coverage so that they'll cover someone out of network given neither is really accepting new patients.  I had never heard of gap coverage before, so wanted to make sure you knew that you could talk to your insurance company if you have trouble.

Mattysmamma
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Thank you all for the insight!!!  We are on a waiting list to see the one and only psychologist in our area who specializes in ASD but I am told we could be waiting a year or more.  I had read posts from parents talking about going to a DP and I did a google search for my area and found nothing, so wasn't sure where to look next.  I will check with his regular pediatrician when we go back next, and will double check with the insurance as well.

Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)