Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transitioning from elementary to middle school?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 233 Total Views

Okay, so my son just started 5th grade.  Our schools range from K-5 elementary, 6-8 middle, and so on.  I woke up yesterday morning with an intense fear about my son attending middle school next year.  Does anyone know what I can prepare for, expect, etc. when he moves on to middle school?  All I keep thinking of is:

1. He will have to travel to six different classes a day! Can he do this? Is this what they do with special ed kids?

2. Will he be spending his lunch time with all the other kids? Will he know what to do?

3. What are the possibilities of him being bullied? Being shown inappropriate behaviors?

Basically, I need a serious dose of what will happen realistically? HELP! Anyone?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:31 AM

Is you son in a special ed class ? That makes all the difference , If he isn't then let me know K .. I know exactly how you are feeling right now .It is very scary but you can help him to make it easier for the transition by getting him a one on one aid .  That is almost always a must when the transition from one school to the next . OTHER wise yes I can feel your fear . I don't know what level your child is on or to what degree his autism is ..I would be able to help you if I knew thanks sweets . I hope to get with you on this so let me know .. Don't worry it is not here yet .. Hang in there mommas .

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Aug. 13, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Hey Momma , I tried to go to your page to get more info on your kiddos' but it is Private , let me know even if you want to send me a message on what level of the spectrum your child is on and to what degree the kind of class rooms they have him in . Hang in there until then if I don;t speak with you best of luck . I would always go to the school before the year ever even started and walked around the whole campus to where my son would be walking to and who would be there with him at ALL times .. never forget that . They never can leave them alone even in the cafeteria .. Also if they are in a special ed class they don't move from room to room at least where I live they don't but mine was the S.H the severely handicapped class that my son was in .. Don't stress just be there for the first week and make sure there is always someone with him .. The schools  & the teachers loved me LOL !! I didn't care . That was my son ..I slaked fora 1/2 of years and lived to regret .. You can never find out to much of what they are doing every hour during the day with your children when they are in the hand of the Schools Districts.. 

MyDreamComeTrue
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Thanks for responding...

My son is actually in a LH class (learning handicap). They just started him at a Level 1 this year which upsets me. So his teacher is already loving me. LOL. He was up to a Level 2 last year. They put him in this class because the teacher is more aggressive academically.  So when I confronted her about Level 1, she told me that this was a social skills class and she goes above and beyond with academics but she is not required to. WTH? So his yearly IEP is coming up and I so want to ask for a one on one aide but never have before. I know that once something is "in" the IEP, it pretty much stays there until you let it go. But trying to get something added is brutal!

I tried taking him out and putting him into a virtual school. This virtual school is very beneficial to him academically. Plus he would be getting one on one with me, which is no cost to the school. But this current school wouldn't agree to the transfer. I don't understand! I am so frustrated. 

My son is diagnosed mild/moderate.  He is very smart. In the past couple of years he has come a long way. I know he can be pushed a little further academically but they don't seem to be doing that. I feel stuck.  I have to do something...any advice?

myheartx4
by Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I understand the dread in the tummy feeling. YUCK.

See how things go the first week, you will have to allow some time for the teacher to get to know him and then adapt her learning plan for him. You can ask for a follow up meeting to discuss her teaching plan, which in a class like this should have individual plans for each child I think.

You might find that he copes better than you anticipate. I was scared to death when my DS went to high school, but he has actually done much better than junior school. He moves from class to class now, and it works better as he is not just with one teacher.

Hugs

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Aug. 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Is he not in the right District for him not to be transferred to the virtual school . I would find out why . The squeaky wheel gets the grease .You can call an I.E.P at any given time as many as you need until you feel he getting the right education . So possibly see how it go's . Requesting an aid they so don't want to do that . I feel if necessary that your child in any way starts to have any fear or seems to be regressing then they will be setting him up to fail then that is on them . Then they will have to give you a aid in order for your son to get a proper education . Think positive on everything trust that they will do what they say . Best of luck if you ever need anything let me know . I still don't get why they won't let him go to the school you were talking about .  . Every state is different but remember the laws are all the same for are kiddo's and they have a lot of them so don't stress ..Until there is a reason to K .. Hang in there . Request the one on one aid they  will try to tell you that they don't want him to become to dependant on the aid that is a bunch of bull  . Just don't leave until you get one . If that is what you feel in your heart as a Mother then follow those feelings that are telling you to request one . Best of luck . Ya never know things could go so smoothly and then we worry are selves for nothing . Wait and see what happens ... relax ...You will no very soon if he needs one or not . We have to give them some kind of time to get him transitioned to so give the teach a chance also .. Gosh I so know how you are feeling .. YEKS .. it going to be ok . 

MyDreamComeTrue
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Thank you ladies for your advice and support! It is much appreciated.  I am going to give her a chance to become familiar with him. His IEP will be coming up and I think that is sufficient time for her to get a plan in place for him.  Thankfully she is incorporating the behavior plan that I have requested for him. That always helps!

I just tried to do this one different.  We have moved a few times in the past ten years (always trying to improve the environment for our kids to grow up in), and every school district has known my name.  We moved to this district a year ago and I wanted to approach it differently.  That didn't work out.  I have to deal with a very overbearing, chauvinistic, and incredibly rude prinicipal here.  I try to avoid him if possible because we just don't get along! bad

It's a new year, he is already avoiding me, which is ok I suppose, and I just want to get my son what he deserves and needs. I'm hoping this goes easier than expected.

Thanks again for your help and for letting me vent! I sure needed it! LOLrolling on floor

dawncs
by Member on Aug. 14, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Have you inspected or know the other classroom placements at the school before you reject this one? Have you seen his schedule at all? The other placements might be below his academic and functioning ability. The social skills aspect of the class could be very beneficial to him. I wish that they had it when I attended school during the 1970s and 1980s. Usually, the teachers report before the first day of school, so he could meet her before. If you talk to the school's main office, you could probably schedule a school tour right now.

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Aug. 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Quoting MyDreamComeTrue:

Thank you ladies for your advice and support! It is much appreciated.  I am going to give her a chance to become familiar with him. His IEP will be coming up and I think that is sufficient time for her to get a plan in place for him.  Thankfully she is incorporating the behavior plan that I have requested for him. That always helps!

I just tried to do this one different.  We have moved a few times in the past ten years (always trying to improve the environment for our kids to grow up in), and every school district has known my name.  We moved to this district a year ago and I wanted to approach it differently.  That didn't work out.  I have to deal with a very overbearing, chauvinistic, and incredibly rude prinicipal here.  I try to avoid him if possible because we just don't get along! bad

It's a new year, he is already avoiding me, which is ok I suppose, and I just want to get my son what he deserves and needs. I'm hoping this goes easier than expected.

Thanks again for your help and for letting me vent! I sure needed it! LOLrolling on floor

I am glad that you are finally laughing over it all , If you don't you would surly go insane .. Let us know how things go please with you son .. You sound like a great super Mom who knows the ropes and is willing to go to any length to get your child what he needs . best of luck sweetie .. Good luck .. Always remember that your the shot caller not them .. I love your sense of humor with the principal that is because so many Moms are to scared at first to upset any of the staff but after awhile it is just like the funny face , funnier then heck to see them not liking you coming around  ,, LOL . Bless your heart !!! 

angelbaby9000
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2009 at 11:33 PM

My son is five so I've only had a little taste of the whole school experience but I had some of the same fears he started in the EELP program  which is a preschool program for kids with special needs, but it is in the reg elm school and at the last IEP meeting we decided that since he is being referred into the reg kindergarden class that it would be a good idea to kinda ween him into the class slowly. About 3 mnths before the end of the school he started going for an hour everyday to the K class. I was very nervous for him, but the kids LOVED him and each one of them went out of their way to help him. I realize it's TOTALLY different for your son though but hopefully they keep an eye on them to make sure they are safe from bullies. As far as learning inappropriate behaviors, I'm not sure they can be completely gaurded from that.

I know this probably help much, but I hope all goes well for your son.

Hugs to you both,

Becky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)