Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My boy

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 429 Total Views

He is non-verbal and it was very hard to get him interested in using the mouse or getting him to pay attention to a computer.  Here he is playing a dora memory game.  Dora, got his attention.  Before long he was taking my hand and placing it over his to play!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
destiny29
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:40 AM

He might be a good candidate for the computer facilitated learning I've been reading about. A computer can be less threatening than another person so he can tune in to it easier. Have you seen the film "Autism is a world?" It's about a non-verbal autistic woman that everyone thought was retarded until she turned 13. She's now going to college and able to communicate using the computer. It's amazing how much she knows inside that she can't communicate. I bet your son is the same way, just watching that clip, you can tell he's "getting it." That was really awesome!

Pauladenise
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Quoting destiny29:

He might be a good candidate for the computer facilitated learning I've been reading about. A computer can be less threatening than another person so he can tune in to it easier. Have you seen the film "Autism is a world?" It's about a non-verbal autistic woman that everyone thought was retarded until she turned 13. She's now going to college and able to communicate using the computer. It's amazing how much she knows inside that she can't communicate. I bet your son is the same way, just watching that clip, you can tell he's "getting it." That was really awesome!

I tell them at school all the time that I would really like Jordan to have one.  They keep saying that he's not ready!  I tell them that I could work with him at home and maybe make faster progress.  Maybe this year, as school started I may take out a loan for one later on down the line when I get our roof paid for.  It's always something!  I like the Dynavox.

Yes, I saw that movie and I have tried to get everyone I know to watch it.  A lot of people think that non-verbal children just don't have a clue as to what's going on.  No matter what you tell them.  Watching that movie got me to working with Jordan on the computer.  He was too young to start on the hour a day.  I have tons of video somewhere of the sessions.  Most were very short.  I'd sit with him and hold his hand on the mouse and he would just up and run away.  I would stop then, I wanted him to like it and not think of it as a chore.  I did this at the same time everyday until little by little he would let me use his hand, but he wouldn't look at the screen.  I tried to find little games that were learning games, with the characters he like's in his favorite movies.  The little Dora game had a ton of good stuff on it.  He mastered it quickly, when he got the hang of the mouse.  He finally turned his head to see what Dora was doing and he could listen to the song as much as he wanted.  We would be working hand over hand and he get mad and throw off my hand and I wouldn't force it.  I would just say, Ok, if you can do it go ahead.  He would try for a while and pull me back to the computer and put my hand on his to work until he would push it off again and it went on like that for some time.

At school they do use the picture board that talks.

Pauladenise
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Jordan loves to tread water.  Excuse the mess, my hubby was building storage for everything.

Pauladenise
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I know the pool one can be pretty shocking.  He is always watched closely while he is around the pool.  I can grab him in a second.

When Jordan was two I tried to get him the special needs swimming lessons.  It was not offered at the time.  Jordan really wanted to swim and I really wanted him to learn.  It was a long road, but he is quite the swimmer today!

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Aug. 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM

My son loves the water , the word is mentally challenged now a days , My son is a genius he has a clock in his head , his memory is better then this computer , He was non verbal until he was 7 he now talking in 8 or 9 word sentences , he never forgets a person's name , he remember who won what on jeopardy when he watches he says what Alex Trebek's says before he says it .. AMAZING .. They all have a part of what I call special gifts that the lord has given them . I for one see many more in my child , he can feel people that are negative he tells to leave when they come over lol . love that .. oh yah and as far as readying minds .. Yes he does read quit often ..The children that have autism have many special gifts that are just amazing to me .The schools should be letting him use computer's my son has a ton of learning games he has been playing for years on his computer .also in typing words and sentences also to help him .. They can be a asset for them      

Pauladenise
by Member on Aug. 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Quoting MommyJanice44:

My son loves the water , the word is mentally challenged now a days , My son is a genius he has a clock in his head , his memory is better then this computer , He was non verbal until he was 7 he now talking in 8 or 9 word sentences , he never forgets a person's name , he remember who won what on jeopardy when he watches he says what Alex Trebek's says before he says it .. AMAZING .. They all have a part of what I call special gifts that the lord has given them . I for one see many more in my child , he can feel people that are negative he tells to leave when they come over lol . love that .. oh yah and as far as readying minds .. Yes he does read quit often ..The children that have autism have many special gifts that are just amazing to me .The schools should be letting him use computer's my son has a ton of learning games he has been playing for years on his computer .also in typing words and sentences also to help him .. They can be a asset for them      

Your son sounds amazing!  Mine is seven and we have had surprise words come our from time to time.  But no talking.  You give me hope.

fireflymom0507
by Member on Aug. 27, 2009 at 11:41 PM

I do not know about anyone else, but schools(even more so public schools)are not worth much anymore.There is SO much that autistic children see better then anyone else that it's staggering.My son is 4 and he's already understanding mathmatic equations, he can't do some things but he can pull that off! Your son may not be able to speak out, but he may hold the keys to a medical break through, funny how that works .Just keep up the good work and chin up:)

Pauladenise
by Member on Sep. 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Quoting fireflymom0507:

I do not know about anyone else, but schools(even more so public schools)are not worth much anymore.There is SO much that autistic children see better then anyone else that it's staggering.My son is 4 and he's already understanding mathmatic equations, he can't do some things but he can pull that off! Your son may not be able to speak out, but he may hold the keys to a medical break through, funny how that works .Just keep up the good work and chin up:)

Thank you!

I love that your son is great with math!  Maybe they will work together at NASA.

MamaRita
by Group Owner on Sep. 1, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Lane half lives in water, if it's not the pool, it's 3 or 4 baths a day. Water always calms him. He is now 10 years old, he is verbal but speaks choppy. Speaking of amazing minds, he can sing a song in it's entirety after just hearing it one time, there's not a rhyme or riddle he can't recite. His brain is also like a computer, NEVER forgets anything. He can beat any child or adult in video games but is still not mainstreamed in school as of yet. We as Parents and Grandparents will all continue to fight for these precious children, they are truly so precious. My hope & prayer is that Lane will be able to make it on his own when his Family is gone. I love all of the stories above, it does give much hope for our Special Needs Children. 

Pauladenise
by Member on Sep. 2, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Quoting MamaRita:

Lane half lives in water, if it's not the pool, it's 3 or 4 baths a day. Water always calms him. He is now 10 years old, he is verbal but speaks choppy. Speaking of amazing minds, he can sing a song in it's entirety after just hearing it one time, there's not a rhyme or riddle he can't recite. His brain is also like a computer, NEVER forgets anything. He can beat any child or adult in video games but is still not mainstreamed in school as of yet. We as Parents and Grandparents will all continue to fight for these precious children, they are truly so precious. My hope & prayer is that Lane will be able to make it on his own when his Family is gone. I love all of the stories above, it does give much hope for our Special Needs Children. 

Your son sounds like a chest full of treasure!  People who see my son at a store or anywhere just assume that no one is in there.  The things people say!  Those are the times when I have no doubt that our children are superior to the grown ups making the comments.

Your son and mine have water in common.  It's hard to take a video lately because he comes home and goes in naked after school.  Averages three baths a day.  Unless it's cold and he can't go in the pool then it could be six.  You'd think he was the cleanest child on earth, but he still finds a way to wear his share of dirt and sticky stuff!  I am convinced that we are the reason the water table is so low in our area.  LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)