Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Galliano proving that tolerance is not under control!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 424 Total Views

With Galliano's recent Mantrums flaring out of control it has proven once again (thank you Mel Gibson too) that we have not managed to envelop our country or our world in tolerance.  How can we be living in this age and still have people with this type of mindset.  We must put our feet down now and say no more!   We must teach our children tolerance, it is easy to find, even the shows developed for our toddlers include children in wheel chairs, children of all races and circumstance.  But please don't just leave it to your children's TV shows to teach them, take every instance that you can to teach that while we may look different we all have one thing in common, we all have feelings and we can all be hurt by words and actions.  We all laugh, cry, experience joy and failure.  We should be teaching our children to lift each other up not tear each other down. 

Teaching them skills like body language and to recognize their own feelings will help them to identify those same things in other people.  Practice making happy and sad faces with your little ones and with your older ones, walk it out.  Yes, you heard me let's talk fashion show - walk the runway and give me tired, give me ecxited, give me happy - hey you can even take pictures of that little runway and use them to discuss how others look and what to do when you see someone who looks that way.  Like if they are looking sad, teach them to say (to their peers only please), you look a little blue, is there anything I can do for you?  I mean seriously, imagine a world filled with this kind of compassion.  There is no more room for the Galliano's of the world if we will not tolerate it. 

Angela Pitre, CMA
Mother to Griffin

Manners for the Modern Family  Group Owner

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SWasson
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 8:34 AM

This sounds like fun, but how well does it work?  I've seen studies that show that before age 18 or so, kids are pretty bad at interpreting facial expressions. Things like these:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090917191605.htm

www.actforyouth.net/documents/may02factsheetadolbraindev.pdf

MrsManners
by Group Owner on Mar. 7, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I use it in all my classes in some form or another and it actually works, you will get varying responses right at the onset as to how to handle a person who looks sad, because that is a harder emotion than happy, but even the younger ones get that they should check on the person and ask them if they are OK.  With pre teens I get a lot of giggles but I also get a lot of "I never thought about it like this before" - I always ask them if they know that their body is talking even when they aren't and that peaks their interest right away. 

While I wouldn't disagree with a study, I also don't think we spend any time teaching our children about emotion or how to recognize facial expressions.  (OK I haven't had a chance to read the study yet, but it won't surprise me to find some frightening number of kids can't do it, because we don't teach them).  I think Manners and things that fall underneath it like empathy and feelings a lot of people take for granted that you come hard wired with this knowledge and you just don't.  We expect in a lot of cases that if it needs to be learned then they will learn it in school, sadly for the children, not so.  Not IMO do I think it is their responsibility but we clearly have a huge hole here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)