Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making new friends

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:38 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 502 Total Views

I am really wanting to make new friends in my area. I am a stay at home mom to my two daughters and all my friends I have now don't have kids and it is hard to go hangout with them when I have my kids. My husband doesn't understand that it is hard to just go and make friends. I dont wanna just walk up to some random person and be like hey..wanna hangout? Any ideas on how to meet new friends who have children?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
studioeastrat
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:49 AM

I have heard that meet up.com is a good website to find some playgroups. This way your kids can go and you can get some social time with adults. Some places also have playgroups on this site although I haven't seen that for OKC. That is really all I can think of though. I don't like to walk up to random people either. I find that these groups at least make me feel a little more comfortable.

kltaylor07
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Agreed.  I met a couple of girls from these groups here on CafeMom but these local groups aren't usually too active.  For an actual playgroup, meetup.com is where I've met a great group of moms.  I'm in one on there called "Social Mamas" & there are playdates almost every week at 11am all over the metro area.  Most of the kids are all baby to toddler ages and the moms are all a wonderful group of girls.  We go to the zoo, houses, parks, the ominplex, reading times at the libraries, etc.  There's also a moms night out scheduled every month without the kiddos.  

I had my son the same month I graduated from OU.  So while all of my friends were moving away back to Texas (where I'm also from), I was starting a new life up here in Oklahoma.  None of them had kids already and while they will always be my friends, it's just not the same anymore.  Plus, NO ONE lives here now!  ha.  I use to drive my husband insane because I didn't have anything to do ever!  He was always telling me to just go out, meet up with the girls, have fun, etc... but I was like "ok, but with who?  your friends??"  He doesn't get it because he's from Oklahoma, all of his buddies are still here, and most of them have already started having kids too.  So he doesn't quite understand what it's like. 

Sorry, didn't mean to write you an essay here!  Anyways, I would check out meetup.com & start from there!  or PM me & I can give you more info or the link to the playgroup I was talking about.     

Realtor/Interior Designer  -  Oklahoma City  -  www.KateLadwig.com

Stefani22
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM

My husband is the same way!! He thinks i should introduce myself to everyone i see.. i was like your crazy!! lol.. My daughter is 20 months. I go to the bronco park allt he time if youd like to go as well!

Christi9834
by Member on Apr. 10, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Quoting Stefani22:

My husband is the same way!! He thinks i should introduce myself to everyone i see.. i was like your crazy!! lol.. My daughter is 20 months. I go to the bronco park allt he time if youd like to go as well!

Where is that at? I have no idea. I'm from Norman

marciamaria
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM

check out meetup.com! I'm in a playdate group called "social mamas"  There is usually 1-2 outing a week!! There are some great people in the group we'd love to have ya!!!

marciamaria
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Ah Hi Kate!!! I just read your post!!!! LOL  DIdnt realize it was you. hehe How's the pregnancy going? I think its been awhile since we've seen ya....(valentines party?)

kltaylor07
by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 9:15 PM

haha, HI!  I've been around at a lot of them but I had a crazy time getting going with real estate lately  =)  We went to the Redhawks game today actually, SO much fun!  Pregnancy is going great, going to have another little boy.  I saw your post in the group about how busy you've been with watching family.  So nice of you but I know how much of a handful it must be too!  Hope to see ya around soon!   

Quoting marciamaria:

Ah Hi Kate!!! I just read your post!!!! LOL  DIdnt realize it was you. hehe How's the pregnancy going? I think its been awhile since we've seen ya....(valentines party?)

Realtor/Interior Designer  -  Oklahoma City  -  www.KateLadwig.com

cindylou141
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I really have no problem just talking to people, but it seems people have problems with me lol. I guess I talk to much or maybe I stricke them odd that I just start a convo with a random stranger. I dunno why I am like this I just always have been.

rmg78
by Member on Apr. 29, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I've met a handful of ladies using cafemom,it's actually gotten me out of the house for my peace of mind. Have you been to Sam Noble Museum located in Norman it's free admission every first Monday of the month. I won't be able to make this Monday because of appointments.

OKFAMILY
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I am in need of some friends also since my whole life I lived in MI and then my daughter was born in to friends. I have found some playgroups that I like from meetup.com.  I have a 4year old and 1 year old. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)