Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas is probably not Christ's birth

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:51 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 320 Total Views
I found this post in the young moms group I think it was, saying "Godless Christmas" I was going to reply but I found out that it had something like 60 pages of replies, mostly bashing (because they're not mature enough to respect other's opinions) So I wanted to share this article I found with all of you. I am personally not religious, really more agnostic (not sure what to believe/haven't decided) so this isn't against any one religion, just information.

Here is the article and I will post something here that I thought was the most relevant:

"Around 200, when Clement of Alexandria mentioned the speculations about Christ's birthday, he said nothing about a celebration on that day. He casually reported the various ideas extant at that time: "And there are those who have determined not only the year of our Lord's birth, but also the day..., the 25th day of Pachon... Furthermore, others say that He was born on the 24th or 25th of Pharmuthi" ("The Stromata, or Miscellanies," The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 2, Eerdmans, Grand Rapids, 1986, p. 333).

Later, in 243, the official feast calendar of the time, De Pascha Computus, places the date of Christ's birth as March 28. Other dates suggested were April 2 and November 18. Meanwhile, in the East, January 6 was chosen, a date the Greeks had celebrated as the birth of the god Dionysus and the Egyptians as the birth of the god Osiris. Although pagans commonly celebrated the birthdays of their gods, in the Bible a birthday is never celebrated to the true God (who, of course, had no birth or day of origin)."

"Simply speaking, the date chosen had nothing to do with biblical precedent and everything to do with ecclesiastical authority."

What does everyone think about this?
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SoldierS_GirL22
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:05 PM

I have absolutely no clue what that is talking about....... I'm not real religious, I believe there is a god..... what god IDK. I don't really believe any of the stories behind it like christmas - jesus christ b-day and easter I believe has something to do with him too. I hope no one bashes me for that I just am not into all that....... it's a holiday that someone made up for kids I suppose, but that is just my opinions on it. I could be wrong but we will never know the actual facts ever. 

bitchitscalledenvy.jpg bitch it's called envy image by jujubabii_2008soldier

soldierhotter.gif My soldier is hotter image by kaylabob_2008

katythemm
by Group Admin on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:21 PM
The holiday started as the Pagan holiday Winter Solstice, celebrating when the day and night were equal. Then Chrisitanity took over, and they took over the holiday too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)