Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this happen to you??...........

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 275 Total Views

My dd wants a ripple afghan in purple, bright green and turquoise for her room. So I have all the yarn, get my hook....a nice Susan Bates J that was my mom's...and start hooking while watching Doctor Who episodes last night. I have started that afghan two times and still can't get it to work out correctly!!!  UGH!!! 

Do you sometimes have problems starting an afghan and getting your stitch count right? 

I know it will eventually all work out, but why, oh why does it have to take me so many times to get it right?!!  

Thanks for letting me vent!  :D

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ma2Liam
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Not starting an afghan, since I have never made one, but I frequently have troubles starting projects correctly. I have to pull sections out or keep re-counting. I think it is why I try to keep my projects smaller ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiweerose
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:02 PM

oh yes can understand. More with my  knitting . I did that with a hat and then things did not line up  I had to to regular knitting and then restart the row again. It is not too noticeable but i know it was there. 

Hope you got the stitch count right.

kary29
by Group Admin on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Seems like it always happens to me!  Takes me awhile to get things right and get going.

Those colors sound so fun. Will be bright in a ripple stitch.  Looking forward to seeing it.  Reminds me when my dd, probably about the same age as yours is now, wanted her room in neon green and navy accents.

Here is the lapghan I made for her then.  

harknessangels
by Group Owner on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I like smaller projects too!  ;)  I usually have one or two on the go for when I need a break from a bigger project. Seems like I might be getting somewhere with this ripple...third time might be the charm!  :)

Quoting Ma2Liam: Not starting an afghan, since I have never made one, but I frequently have troubles starting projects correctly. I have to pull sections out or keep re-counting. I think it is why I try to keep my projects smaller ;)

harknessangels
by Group Owner on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:50 PM

It can be downright frustrating.  Maybe I shouldn't start projects later in the evening!  ;)

Quoting kiweerose:

oh yes can understand. More with my  knitting . I did that with a hat and then things did not line up  I had to to regular knitting and then restart the row again. It is not too noticeable but i know it was there. 

harknessangels
by Group Owner on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:51 PM

It will be a bright ripple afghan.  I think I might be on the right track now....third time hopefully is the charm!  ;)  LOVE your lapghan!  Bright green and navy look great together!  

Quoting kary29:

Seems like it always happens to me!  Takes me awhile to get things right and get going.

Those colors sound so fun. Will be bright in a ripple stitch.  Looking forward to seeing it.  Reminds me when my dd, probably about the same age as yours is now, wanted her room in neon green and navy accents.

Here is the lapghan I made for her then.  

kiweerose
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM

oh...that is right. Could be .

Quoting harknessangels:

It can be downright frustrating.  Maybe I shouldn't start projects later in the evening!  ;)

Quoting kiweerose:

TiffanyMarie80
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM
I had a problem with a stuffed dinosaur I was making for my son last week- I did the first 3 rows a few different times and it just. Wasn't. Right. So obnoxious lol. I knew the problem was that the pattern told me to put 12 dc in a magic circle, which makes a cone rather than a circle. I figured it would work right if I used a sc instead, but it would make the Dino smaller, so I doubled up the yarn and went up a couple hook sizes. The thing was HUGE when I thought it would be about the same size as the pattern described. I went back and read comments on the pattern and discovered that it was written in UK terms, so dc actually DID mean sc lol.
Mazilch
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Yep...btdt.  It seems like ripples are hard to get started or projects where you have to skip stitches between stitches.

harknessangels
by Group Owner on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:08 PM

LOL!  The pattern I am using is written in UK terms as well.  :)  

Quoting TiffanyMarie80: I had a problem with a stuffed dinosaur I was making for my son last week- I did the first 3 rows a few different times and it just. Wasn't. Right. So obnoxious lol. I knew the problem was that the pattern told me to put 12 dc in a magic circle, which makes a cone rather than a circle. I figured it would work right if I used a sc instead, but it would make the Dino smaller, so I doubled up the yarn and went up a couple hook sizes. The thing was HUGE when I thought it would be about the same size as the pattern described. I went back and read comments on the pattern and discovered that it was written in UK terms, so dc actually DID mean sc lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)