Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IS yarn getting thinner? or is it me??

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 114 Total Views

I'm noticing that when I buy a #4 worsted yarn and start crocheting with it , it feels very thin and flimsy..not like the throws my mom made... I'm so frustrated with it... I've got several skeins of different brands and they all FEEL this way... I upped my hook a couple of sizes and it helped a little...so little that my husband could not feel a difference between the 2 samples. I buy the super savers because the other is so expensive and you get less yarn!

janinefall.jpg picture by lovestarbucks54

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kiweerose
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM

that may be the case . I do notice different yarns have different feels to them too.

harknessangels
by Group Owner on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM

I have noticed this too, Janine. It really doesn't feel like a #4 worsted anymore. 

jmlmomma
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Oh thank god..I thought I was going crazy! I have 5-6 afghans my mom made me over the years and they are so much thicker..(she has passed away so I can't ask her) I know she crocheted looser but still... So now not only do we get less potato chips we get less yarn! Thieves I tell ya...thieves! 

Quoting harknessangels:

I have noticed this too, Janine. It really doesn't feel like a #4 worsted anymore. 

janinefall.jpg picture by lovestarbucks54

harknessangels
by Group Owner on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:40 PM

Oh Janine, I am sorry to hear that your Mom has passed away. Mine has too. How nice to have afghans she has made. I have one that my Mom was crocheting and am hoping one day to work on it.  I crochet looser than she does.  

Quoting jmlmomma:

Oh thank god..I thought I was going crazy! I have 5-6 afghans my mom made me over the years and they are so much thicker..(she has passed away so I can't ask her) I know she crocheted looser but still... So now not only do we get less potato chips we get less yarn! Thieves I tell ya...thieves! 

Quoting harknessangels:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)