Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi everybody! I'm Kira. I've been lurking for a bit as a newbie to crochet. I was wondering if you would share your yarn preferences if you have any. Fiber type, weight, brands. I have been using acrylic from the chain craft stores but was looking to try new things.
by on Dec. 30, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Replies (11-16):
fiddlerbird555
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM
I've been doing all kinds of stuff. My spinning is mostly animal fiber -- wool, alpaca, silk, mohair, angora -- in sport to lace weight. I'll have to admit being sometimes a bit intimidated trying to find a project with of the skein. Then I tend to fall in love with glittery or variagated worsted weight and sock yarns.

Stash busting projects don't work for me, I have too many different little remnants.
KiraLise
by Member on Dec. 31, 2017 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
YouTube taught me to crochet! What a time to live in! 😄

Quoting harknessangels:

I love Knit Picks Brava Worsted. It is one of my favorite acrylic yarns for hats, blankets...etc. I am so thankful for YouTube now, when I get stuck on a new technique, that is the first place I go!  :)  I can't wait to see some of your projects. 

Quoting KiraLise: I just discovered Knit Picks the other day! They have some beautiful yarn. So far I've made some scarves and am currently finishing up a blanket. I tried my hand at some baby booties with the help of YouTube.

KiraLise
by Member on Dec. 31, 2017 at 3:05 PM
Bernat Blanket is so soft when worked up! I have yet to crochet with it. I made a swatch on a loom. I agree with you about Red Heart. It is very accessible though.

Quoting Madeyemoody: I love using Bernat blanket for everything. It’s super soft and thick. Small color selection though. My second choice is red heart. I don’t find it very soft though.
KiraLise
by Member on Dec. 31, 2017 at 3:06 PM
Do you spin on a drop spindle or a wheel?

Quoting fiddlerbird555: I've been doing all kinds of stuff. My spinning is mostly animal fiber -- wool, alpaca, silk, mohair, angora -- in sport to lace weight. I'll have to admit being sometimes a bit intimidated trying to find a project with of the skein. Then I tend to fall in love with glittery or variagated worsted weight and sock yarns.

Stash busting projects don't work for me, I have too many different little remnants.
fiddlerbird555
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2017 at 4:32 PM

Drop spindle.  Much more portable and no moving parts to worry about. If it isn't crushed, it's in working order.

Quoting KiraLise: Do you spin on a drop spindle or a wheel?
Quoting fiddlerbird555: I've been doing all kinds of stuff. My spinning is mostly animal fiber -- wool, alpaca, silk, mohair, angora -- in sport to lace weight. I'll have to admit being sometimes a bit intimidated trying to find a project with of the skein. Then I tend to fall in love with glittery or variagated worsted weight and sock yarns. Stash busting projects don't work for me, I have too many different little remnants.

madwifa
by Member on Dec. 31, 2017 at 5:32 PM

I love Bernat blanket I use is for almost everything it is my all time favorite

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)