Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lesson 2 - Self Dedication

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 714 Total Views
1 mom liked this

The first step in learning the craft is Self-Dedication. This, in itself, will allow energies to focus on you. Your body is full of psychic energy which you man already use, and Self-Dedication will open up the earth energies of air, fire, water and earth (known as elementals) to you so you may use them as your own. Each energy that you can use is a tool and the more tolls you can use, the stronger your magick.

Self-Dedication and initiation differ in that initiation focuses the deity and astral energies on you, which Self-Dedication allows you the ability to reach out and draw the energies on your own. If you follow a set path, it may be a good idea for you to explore both options.

Read this ritual over and memorize it so that you can recite it without having to stop that remember what is next. The reason why memorization is so important is the effectiveness of the ritual is directly related to your ability to fully focus on your task. Interrupting a ritual to look up the instructions can easily distract you and divert your energies elsewhere, hence defeating your purpose.

YOU WILL NEED:

3 white candles
1 red candle
Matches or Lighter
Sweet smelling incense (rose is good, but choose one that you like) *stick or cone is fine
A Cup with Water
A quiet place

SET UP:

This must be done on the night of the Full Moon
Place the 3 White Candles in the form of a triangle.
Place the Red Candle in the center.
Place the water to the left side of the triangle
Place the Incense to the right of the triangle.

Self - Dedication Ceremony

Preform Step One - Meditation. While you may still not be a master of Meditation, do your best to clear your mind of everything beyond this moment, so that you may completely focus on the task at hand...

Light the white candle at the "top" of your triangle and envision white light shooting from the earth into the candle.
(Visualize this as best you can, we will work to develop this later)

Light the remaining white candles while saying your name.

Light the incense and walk around the candles while saying:
(if you can't walk around, rotate the incense in a circle around them)
"On this night I come before the elements asking for the guardians to arise."
"Open the path. Open the gates. Open the way. I am here."

Light the Red Candle
Say WHY you have chose witchcraft or your way of magick.
**It is important to be completely honest with this step. Do not simply state you wand to be a witch. Do some serious soul searching and put your heart in to it. You can keep it short with just one sentence or prepare an elaborate speech.**

Stand up in the form of a Pentagram (legs spread, arms outstretched, head up) and say:
"Earth Mother I invoke you."
Stay in this position for a few moments.

Kneel before the candles and take the water.
Pass it through the incense and over the candles while saying:
"Bless me Earth Mother"
"With this water charge your energies inside."

(This will purify the water)

Put the cup of water down and place your palms over it while envisioning a white light coming from the earth, filling the water. Say:
"As to earth, as to me, may this water purify me."

Hold the cup high over your head and say:
"Open the path. Open the gates. Open the way. I am here"

Drink the charged water.
Put out the red candle and say:
"Great Earth Mother blessed be."
"I am charged, so mote it be."

Let the white candles burn themselves out.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MySavinGrace
by New Member on May. 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Can you suggest something for me to use other than incense? Reason being is because whenever I am around them they give me a bad headache. I can use most mild scented candles tho. Would that be ok?

SabrinaMBowen
by Group Owner on May. 10, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Quoting MySavinGrace:

Can you suggest something for me to use other than incense? Reason being is because whenever I am around them they give me a bad headache. I can use most mild scented candles tho. Would that be ok?

What about doing it outside? Or an uncented incense? I tend to get a headache as well, but I do things like this outside, so I don't have that issue. I would think there are other options, but to be honest, I have never met anyone that used anything else. If you have no other options, I could see how a candle would work through, the point of the incense is the smoke more than it is the scent. So as long as you have some kind of smoke, you'll be okay...

MySavinGrace
by New Member on May. 10, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Thanks! I'll try getting unscented and see if that will work for me :)

ShoelaceGirl
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 11:57 PM

What is the point of the smoke? At first I thought it was to call upon air, being that it is in the east, assuming you are facing north. If so, any other object may be used, such as a feather, chime, fan, bell, etc. If it is for cleansing reasons, then you could use salt or a broom.

Quoting SabrinaMBowen:the point of the incense is the smoke more than it is the scent. So as long as you have some kind of smoke, you'll be okay...

ShoelaceGirl
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 12:04 AM

I borrowed from handfasting traditions for my dedication. I braided black, white, and green ribbons together representing the masculine, feminine, and myself, while saying, "I ask that you be with me this year and a day as I begin my practice and take my studies to a deeper level. Protect me and guide me." I then used charged water to draw the elements' symbols on my limbs and head followed by meditation. I used a simple altar setup with colored candles in the appropriate directions and the ribbons in the center. The water was, of course, left in the west.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)