Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you Give your rats a bath?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 448 Total Views

Do you give your rats a bath??

If so: How often, and how/where do you do it.

I always just put a few inches of water in the bathtub and put an upside down bowl in the middle that way they can swim for a little wile and get out when they want. They have so much fun.

~~Lori~~Mommy to 2 yr old Caitlynn!!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
zoeysmom331
by on Dec. 23, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Not these ones, but my old ones we did. These ones need it though, they stink! Their claws are REALLY sharp though, so I'm not sure about giving them one!

I am NOT a bad mom because I am a... front facing at 1 AND 20, breast and bottle feeding, CIO, vaxing, suicide survivor, montessori-school sending (but will be public schooling), time-out giving, unmarried, ex-smoking, SUV driving, church going, working, college attending, tipping the waitress for a job well done (and I've been there), non co-sleeping, Obama voting, Roseanne is my Hero Momma! Now put on your big girl panties and realize that I am not you!

jessradtke
by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 4:06 PM

When I had a lot of rodents I didn't bathe them, but our current rat gets a bath whenever we clean her cage. She likes to be bathed in the bathroom sink where she can climb in and out. Sometimes it's just plain water, but if she's stinky we wash her with an all natural, unscented baby shampoo first.

Smith711
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Rats are generally very cleanly and do quite a bit of grooming to maintain themselves. However, in elderly or sick rats, a bath may be necessary. Of course, if you want to give your rats a bath say once every other month (too much can cause skin problems), that would be fine too.

Most rats enjoy a bath, some do not. It's important that you make your rat feel safe, never get water on their head, or ears, and keep them as warm as possible until they fully dry. You can fill up the bathtub with about 1 inch of water (maybe less if your rats are tiny), make sure the water is just a little cooler than luke warm. You can let them splash around and play in it, and it would be lots of fun for them to put little islands in there and toys as well. If your ratties tail is gunky, you can wash it with a soft toothbrush moving only in the direction of the scales. From their bottom to the tip of their tail. Do not use any dog/cat/baby shampoos, if you would like to use a shampoo please use a small animal shampoo or ferret shampoo, and make sure to rinse very well.

Have fun!
~*:Brooke:*~

jessradtke
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I prefer not to use small animal shampoo because all of the commercial small animal shampoos that are available where we live have chemical ingredients that I'm not comfortable putting on my rats. Even if you rinse well, some of it is absorbed into their skin. That's why I use an all natural baby shampoo with food grade ingredients instead. Definitely do not use dog or cat shampoos on rats though. Some of them contain ingredients that can be harmful to your ratties!

Quoting Smith711:

Rats are generally very cleanly and do quite a bit of grooming to maintain themselves. However, in elderly or sick rats, a bath may be necessary. Of course, if you want to give your rats a bath say once every other month (too much can cause skin problems), that would be fine too.

Most rats enjoy a bath, some do not. It's important that you make your rat feel safe, never get water on their head, or ears, and keep them as warm as possible until they fully dry. You can fill up the bathtub with about 1 inch of water (maybe less if your rats are tiny), make sure the water is just a little cooler than luke warm. You can let them splash around and play in it, and it would be lots of fun for them to put little islands in there and toys as well. If your ratties tail is gunky, you can wash it with a soft toothbrush moving only in the direction of the scales. From their bottom to the tip of their tail. Do not use any dog/cat/baby shampoos, if you would like to use a shampoo please use a small animal shampoo or ferret shampoo, and make sure to rinse very well.

Have fun!
~*:Brooke:*~

Smith711
by on Jan. 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Yes, it's important to read the labels before using anything. (sorry, should've mentioned that) The small animal shampoo I found in my petstore is completely organic, and like you said food grade ingredients. Some baby shampoos are okay, I've used Johnson/Johnson natural baby shampoo, the unscented variety and it works well too.

Quoting jessradtke:

I prefer not to use small animal shampoo because all of the commercial small animal shampoos that are available where we live have chemical ingredients that I'm not comfortable putting on my rats. Even if you rinse well, some of it is absorbed into their skin. That's why I use an all natural baby shampoo with food grade ingredients instead. Definitely do not use dog or cat shampoos on rats though. Some of them contain ingredients that can be harmful to your ratties!

gogetem
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I put shallow water in the bathroom sink.  The rats do the rest...  It's mostyl for play, really. 

adamsmama
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I let my ratties play in the tub with a little water. It's more for play than anything else. They really don't get that dirty with all the grooming they do. Keeping their cage very clean also helps.

Btw, too much bathing (especially for bucks) can actually cause them to stink worse as their skin will overcompensate by producing more oils than normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)