Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Issues with new commer

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:49 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 340 Total Views

last night we adopted an older 7mo hemalien he and rizzo seemed to hit off well they snuggled and played for hours but when i woke up today rizzo had bites on his foot and tail and was shaking like crazy. The new rat hubby named gwedo he is fat and lazy and real sweet we just worrie that he is playing dom while we arnt looking he had all the food under him so we fed rizzo by him self. rizzo is only 3mo. What can i do to help my sweet boys?

The Halls

groombride    

Ron & Heather    

girl on a swing                             expecting girl

Dianne Elizabeth           Kiana Sarah

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gogetem
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM

I'm sure you know that dominate behavior and fighting is to be expected from time to time.... and especially with a newbie.  But, most rat owners will tell you that if there's blood, they need to be separated.  I have a VERY dominant rat towards another  (I have 4 total).  The scrapping can look pretty bad and there can be a lot of squeaking.  My dom rat (Meow) progressively got meaner.  People in another forum told me to wait it out.  I waited and waited, but it got to the point where Meow's intentions were clearly to kill my other rat (Moo).  He started attacking him like a pitbull.  You know how dog lock jaws onto something and shake their heads?  That's what Meow was doing to Moo's neck.  The other rats became so timid that they would never come out of their box... not even to eat. They got very skinny.  Moo started jumping from the top of the cage to get away and I was sure he would eventually end up with broken bones.

So, after all, I decided to separate them permanently.  Sometimes you just get a rat that doesn't like other rats.  If the fighting gets so bad that it turns your stomach, go with your instincts and separate them.

I hope that helps  =}

<:3  )~~  It's okay.    My rats think you're gross, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)