• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Out of Control Mornings! Advice? Tips? Tricks?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

I have not posted on here before, so a little "background" information first.  I have 9yr old identical twin sons.  both were "officially" diagnosed with ADHD in September 2010. One of my boys has also been diagnosed with Anxiety/Depression issues....I'll refer to him as "Twin A".  The other "Twin B" is ADHD, but not nearly as severe as Twin A and he doesn't have the Anxiety issues (so far).  Twin A takes 54 mg of Concerta and 18mg of Strattera in the morning, then 25mg of Strattera at night.  Twin B takes 36 mg of Concerta in the morning.

Now, on to my question/problem.  Both of the boys wake up very early in the morning.....around 5am.  Sometimes a little later , sometimes a little earlier.  They both hit the floor running.  The ADHD symptoms are out of control every morning.  They run through the house, yell, scream, wrestle and carry on all morning.  I have to continuously tell them things like "eat your breakfast, take your meds, get dressed, put your shoes on, brush your teeth, etc.  Once they are dressed and ready to go to school, they will go outside and play until it's time to leave for school. When they are outside, I have to run in and out telling them to please quit yelling & screaming because it is still very early for our neighbors.  The time change doesn't help matters at all!!  It always seems to throw them for a loop and just makes matters worse. This crazy, never letting up out of control behaviour has me at my wits end. By the time I drop them off at school I am exhausted.  I try to be patient and I know once the meds kick in it does get better, but what, if anything can I do until then?

Does anyone else have this problem?  If so, how do you handle it?  I am willing to try anything at this point and am open to suggestions.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
rosebudjr
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM

been their done that. I have several suggestions. put them on a schedule. It is difficult at first but will get easier. i do a specific wake up time. i go in before my child is fully  awake and wake him. when i wake him i give him his meds, and say time to take your meds. i then tell him he may sleep five more minutes. this helps me to releive stress and gives time for meds to start working. i also ues a timer and set limits on what he has to get done in a given time. breakfast 20 minutes or eat at school. have breakfast bars in car helps too. he has a fifteen minute time fram to get dressed or go to school in pjs. trust me this works. they might go in pjs once in awhile, but youkeep your sanity . hope this helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)