Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your child had an IQ test?

Posted by   + Show Post
many kids dx with ADHD are really just gifted. I took my son in for an assessment and it turns out he is just extremely gifted. If you look up dabrowski overexcitabilty it fits him exactly. I'm so glad I left the last dr who wanted to medicate him within minutes of our first meeting.
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Replies (11-14):
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

About 3 I think, for most non-verbal IQ tests. 

IQ will change over time though, and isn't a static number the way most people believe. 

Quoting ladyraven16:

How old does a child have to be to get an iq test?

Verrine
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ladyraven16:

How old does a child have to be to get an iq test?

They're not so valid in children before school age. Plus, if you pay out-of-pocket, a full-scale psychological educational assessment is about $2,000. I got my son into an ADHD study so it was free. Actually they paid him $100. It wasn't a complete assessment though.  

I know 2 parents who paid for their gifted LD children to have assessments. They thought it was an excellent investment because the full report pinpointed where the child had problems, for instance with visual processing. They could provide better support at home and go to the school and say this is the exact service the child needs. The schools liked knowing what services were necessary (anything you can do to make someone else's job easier gets them on your side). 

Insurance only covers testing that is medically necessary. So, for most parents of children with issues, that means waiting for the school to get around to it after the child is failing. 

MamaLisaSmile
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM

My son was tested for free by the school district for the gifted program.  His IQ is 153 and I swear he is a perfectly normal child.  Maybe a smidge hyper but VERY well behaved.  He does nothing exceptionally but does learn very easily.

quietsmilie
by Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

My son finally actually completed an IQ test this year (first grade).  He is gifted.  He definitely also still has ADHD and is on the autistic spectrum.  On his IQ test, he actually scored really high (>90th %ile) for working memory, which is unusual for someone with ADHD.  I'm very confident in both the ADHD and ASD diagnoses - as well as that he is really bright.  Every child is unique and deserves the support to live up to their potential!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)