Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD and SS? PIOG

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 139 Total Views

Is it even possible to get SS for a child with ADHD? I was complaining about wanting my daughter to get group behavior modification therapy, but our insurance has a bunch of hoops they want us to jump though. A friend mentioned SS as a way to have the extra money to be able to afford the therapy on our own.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Do you mean SSI?  

Yes, it is possible if the ADHD inhibits functioning enough, but it's usually based on your income, so it's often hard to qualify.  

Tinkerbellmama
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Yes, SSI sorry.

Tinkerbellmama
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I guess the bigger question is, how debilitating does the ADHD have to be to qualify for SSI?

HeathersRich
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM
From what I understand the child has to have atleast 2 different diagnosis's (depending on state) and your income needs to be low enough to qualify.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BLMoretti
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I would become a theraputic parent.  Go to Dr Bryan Post's website and watch the videos, read the books and learn to do this for yourself.  I am not even convinced tha behavior modificaton works in a setting like that.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM

The standards for SSI as I remember them (not from my ADHD son, but from his sister) was that the child had to show significant impairment or inability to independently handle age-appropriate self-care.  I don't think it had anything about needing a specific number of diagnosises, but I think most ADHD kids with impairment sufficient to qualify would probably also be Dxd with Anxiety or ODD or something else anyway. 

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

I guess the bigger question is, how debilitating does the ADHD have to be to qualify for SSI?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)