Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lists/Schedules-- What do you do?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 194 Total Views

I have found that my ds responds well to having "To Do" lists. He loves being able to mark things off, and know what comes next. I'll make out a list that looks something like this: 

1. Breakfast
  2. Read a book together
  3. Draw a picture (I try to relate it to the story ie: draw a pic of your favorite character, part, etc.)
  4. Play Learning games for X amount of time (generally 20-30 minutes of a kidergarten learning game)

It can go on for what we're doing all day, but you get the idea. I'm guessing a lot of you do something similar. With school about to start, I want to get a good, solid routine going. I would love to get some other ideas. What do you do to help your kids schedule their time? How specific/detailed do you get? Do you add chores in? How do you display it? Any other tips would be great too. :)

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
shrub1980
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I created poster boards for my seven and ten year old daughter (who is ADD). It has a morning routine, after school routine, and before bed routine. I posted three of them one in each of their rooms and one on the fridge. That way they know what comes next no matter where they are at. It helps remind them what is expected in a days time.

peanutmom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is now 12 and gets ready for school on his own.  But from preschool to 4th grade, I made a chart on the computer with clip art pictures and words with each thing he needed to do to get ready for school.  The last thing on the list was always "free time"  and he learned quickly that the faster he got ready for school, the more time he'd get to do whatever he wanted to do before school.   The rest of the chart had squares next to each thing, labeled Monday-Friday across the chart.  I put it in a plastic sheet protector and sometimes had it laminated.  He used a dry-erase marker to check off each thing.  If he got distracted, I didn't need to nag--all I said was, "What's next on your chart?  We kept it on the kitchen table, so he'd run and check to remind himself what he still needed to do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)