Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicine?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 258 Total Views
So my doctor gave me a prescription for adder all today fir my 6 yr old son. I was all for giving it a try because we have tried pretty much everything else and he's still having a hard time in school. Me and my husband talked about it and agreed but today when I told him he flipped out on me and said no. Then he looked all these side effects up including death. I think if I talk to him I can get him to understand but I'm afraid now if something does happen I pushed it. Can anyon give me there opinion or any information on this medication? Thank you
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM
My 13 yr old son has been on it for a few years, hes on the adderall xr and it helps him a ton. Hes ADHD. When you look up side effects of ANY medication its always scary. If only 1 person has a bad or deadly side effect the company has to list it. Its a very commom ADD/ADHD med and if kids were dying from it, it would get recalled. I say talk to hubby again. I know how hard it is when it seems like nothing ever helps. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Becky119
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Thank you, it's just so much and it's hard to decide. It's hard for my husband because he works out of state and only comes back on weekends twice a month. So I picked up the prescription today and when my husband comes home for the weekend were gonna give it to him and see how it goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Request to have a EKG and ECG test run before taking the medicine and then decide. There are kids that die but most had a underlying condition so by giving a stimulant it triggers cardiac arrest. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lazyd
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

ALL medicines say that.  You can die from taking ANY and ALL medication.  Whether you are a child or an adult.  IF even ONE person died (doesnt matter the cause, whether is was related to the medicine or some other underlying condition while a person was in a trail for a new drug) the companies have to list that on the warnings.  You can die from any combinations of things.  You can die from overdosing on Tylenol for christ sakes!  Follow the exact dosage.  Your son's doctor should have tested your son's pulse and heart rate.  Your son's doctor should be giving your son the "proper" dosage for his height and weight and the doctor should have measured your son.  My son is on Intuntiv, Zoloft, & Vyvanse for adhd/odd/anxiety.  He is 10 now.  ALL meds are different.  And MOST meds take at least 8 weeks or more to get the full effect, so you might have to have patience.  Your son might do fine on adderall, some other kid might not.  ALL kids are different and each kid can react to an ANY number of side effects.  IF you think this will help your son do better in school with concentration, etc., than give it a try.  My son was on Adderall XR but we had to switch cuz his body got too use to it & it wasnt helping him anymore.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)