Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dont know how to word this to sons teacher

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

Ok so my son will be 12 on Saturday and honestly hes a great kid at home he can try to be sneaky and doesn't want to lift a finger to do anything other than what he wants but he will because he get it I am not going to give in . At school though hes disrespectful, he has had the same complaints from teachers since kindergarten he doesn't transition into recess,changing subjects getting to school leaving all those times he just doesn'tget with the program .He always tries to get away with not doing his work he can be rude to other kids he always lets his mouth get him into trouble so YAH. typical ADHD kid with major issue being his impulse control .

His teachers are All well aware he has ADHD but yet they expect him to act and do what the other kids do and today I get a not from his teacher that shes really concerned for him because hes not going to be ready for jr high and I just don't know how to say hes never going to be at the same point  as his classmates hes alweays going to have days that will make you feel liek he not getting it none of the mentioned issues are new every yr hes not ready for that grade without sounding like I have no hope for him and I don't expect more of him than what he shows because it doesn't matter how tactfully I state things the school always makes me feel like its me that's not getting him to behave when I have no problems getting him to comply at home .So how do you say hes always had these issues you igot and every yr we work on them but it may take yrs for him to get them taken care of

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Grammie_j
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Is he medicated? Is he passing all of his classes? Does he have a 504 or an IEP? My 12 yo grandson is in 6th grade this year and so far it's been a good experience for him. He has an IEP and all of his teachers are following it. Last year was a diiferent story and my daughter spent alot of time emailing teachers and talking to the principal and counselor! I think you need to have a meeting with all of his teachers, counselor and principal and come up with a plan to help him transition and consequences for disrespectful behavior. Also, some families have had really good results with behavior therapy.

Wish I was more help! The only thing I know for sure is no solution we come up with ever goes in a straight line -- we're all just trying to hang on!!!

Jacque

melissam78
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM
You just told my story (almost) my ds is 8 and in 3rd grade,he has ADHD and on adderol,he has his moments at home but more so at school (because it is busy) thankfully he has a very understanding teacher who has been extremely patient w/him (he lol for no reason,won't do his work,crawls on the floor & under the desk) he has however shown improvement in his behavior and oddly enough is doing very well with his school work (photographic memory maybe?) we are all working together to make sure his needs are met to grow educationally and to improve his behavior.have you met with the staff about an iep plan?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bry36
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM

he has a 504 and I swaer I have meetings until I am blue in the face but it never really solves anything just us going over the same stuff we have gone over since kindergarden .He has all the consquences set up for what jhappens when he misbehaves it just never really prevents him from doing it again . He does go to behavioral therepy but I am thinking about changeing becasue he made major improvements a few yrs back hes a totally different kid but since I have only seen him get older but his behaviors to me have only changed becasue hes matured not becasue hes applying things hes learned from his BT

Quoting Grammie_j:

Is he medicated? Is he passing all of his classes? Does he have a 504 or an IEP? My 12 yo grandson is in 6th grade this year and so far it's been a good experience for him. He has an IEP and all of his teachers are following it. Last year was a diiferent story and my daughter spent alot of time emailing teachers and talking to the principal and counselor! I think you need to have a meeting with all of his teachers, counselor and principal and come up with a plan to help him transition and consequences for disrespectful behavior. Also, some families have had really good results with behavior therapy.

Wish I was more help! The only thing I know for sure is no solution we come up with ever goes in a straight line -- we're all just trying to hang on!!!

Jacque

bry36
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

he has a 504 I am hoping jr high will be way more helpful in getting him a IEP .My son is also on Adderall and very very intelligent too that the issue somewhat is that he is considered above average to gifted but he never tries to live up to his potential to the point that teachers think hes actually delayed .I guess my fustration really lies in the fact that I always feel like his teachers think his ADHD is a crutch and when ever I say oh really he was walking around when he should have being quite do you think that maybe his ADHD they just act like well thats no excuse LOL no its not its a hard fact that he has issues that make him harder to deal with at times and when they tell me this or this happend its always directly related to his ADHD I just get so fustrated and he is never at least maybe for awhile going to be as mature as some of the other kids but if I stae that to them they act like I am not holding him up to wher ehe shoudl be or I am not expecting to get him to that level thast not it at all I do I have gotten him there at home I just try to be real and I will try with all my being to help him excell but also with the realzation that I have to be real he might not excell in these areas and it may take yr to get there doesnt mean I dont expect him to or think he wont jusyt that its not always as easy as making him fill out a daily check list LOL

Quoting melissam78:

You just told my story (almost) my ds is 8 and in 3rd grade,he has ADHD and on adderol,he has his moments at home but more so at school (because it is busy) thankfully he has a very understanding teacher who has been extremely patient w/him (he lol for no reason,won't do his work,crawls on the floor & under the desk) he has however shown improvement in his behavior and oddly enough is doing very well with his school work (photographic memory maybe?) we are all working together to make sure his needs are met to grow educationally and to improve his behavior.have you met with the staff about an iep plan?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)