Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Someone suggested magnesium and other supplements...

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 231 Total Views

I have a 3 yr old, has a speech delay, not yet diagnosed with ADHD but I see a definite trend with his personality. ( I have ADHD, as do 3 out of my 5 children).  Someone suggested some supplements like fish oil, vitamin d, magnesium, etc.  I was looking for the exact supplements and the correct doses for their ages and weight, specifically for my 3 yr old boy who weighs about 32 lbs.  Not sure if the behavior is frustration from the speech delay, but there's definitely ADD in there somewhere!!   

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gypsyhiker
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Every night, I give my son magnesium, zinc and B6, along with Gycine to assist in sleep. I notice a difference the next day when I forget.

momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

most likely me.    PM me  next week.. and link this post so I can find it.  

My son Deploys heading to a base in US then to  Afghanistan..   tomorrow..  and my head is not in the game today..  I have a huge chart to do for work today.. and  then say a big good-bye tomorrow.   

I can help  I will help but I can't today..     and I don't want to forget.. so Please..   just PM me and provide the link and I will  follow up.   Just give me at least a day or two to get into it. 

second deployment doesn't make it a whole lot easier is all I am saying.    

somuchlaundry
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Thanks so much and thank your son for serving. My oldest son is in the Army and will be deployed for the 2nd time this summer. I feel your pain.  Godspeed to you all. Looking forward to connecting!!

DDDaysh
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Don't do these type of supplements without discussing it with his doctor.  Vitamin D in particular can be dangerous to overdose on.  Fish oil can be contaminated with heavy metals.  All sorts of things could go wrong, including interactions with existing medications if he takes any for other things.  With a child that small, things can go bad really quickly, so ask his pediatrician which supplements she recommends.  

Also, supplements don't usually have to pass the same kind of scrutiny as other medications, so they have often been found to contain more or less of the substance than is reported on their label.  It is important to make sure the company has a good track record with third party testing centers that verify their contents.  

somuchlaundry
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Very good points from previous poster, you are right on target with this classification of supplements.  Will discuss with MD during upcoming visit.  Thank you so much for passing that on.  :)

DDDaysh
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM
That being said, we do use omega 3 (from flax seed) and use probiotics in he needs to be on antibiotics along with a regular multivitamin. We also use melatonin at night. DS's doctor has approved of these.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamiJaAyla
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM

magnesium is great for migraines. 

CTBJMom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I totally agree with the "check with your doctor" recommendations.  Once you get clearance you may want to check https://www.consumerlab.com.  There is a fee but it does consumer testing and reporting of products.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)