Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD and Video games

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 525 Total Views

Ok my 5 year old son has a DSI and 2 Seasame Strret learning games for it. He loves it and he loves taking pics with the built in camera. He took it with him to the Dr for his last appt. I thought it was a good idea as he will sit still longer with it (with him this is an amazing achievement lol). He was sitting there being good playing it when the Dr came in and chewed me out for letting him play any kind of game. He said that they are bad for all kids but worse for ADHD kids. He did not explain at all and I have never heard this before. Now I don't know what to do, my son wants the Seasame Street Grover game but I don't know if I should get it for him or not. Anyone know anything about this. HELP.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starinmysky
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I let my 5 year old son play games on the Xbox and also his DS.  I only let him play a few times a week, but this is the only way he ever sits still.  I wouldn't even consider going to a doctor's appointment without letting him play on my iphone or his DS.  Again, it's the only way he would sit still and be quiet.  I think it's fine, as long as it's not all the time.  I feel anything in moderation is okay. 

Chibi_Kitten
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

My son's psychiatrist told me to limit the amount of time my son plays video games and to especially avoid violent ones, otherwise, video games are fine. My son is 9yo though.

Suzi444
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I let my daughter play DS @ the neurologist's once... after the snarky remark he made (that is why I don't allow video games in my house).. I never did again... Although there is nothing wrong w/ it.  Video games serve a few purposes... they assist with fine motor skills, reading  skills (amazing how quick my daughter can read those captions), also works with areas of cognition (like visual processing..).   It obviously has to be w/in moderation. 

ashleighmama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Everyone has their own opinions obout video games, my opinion is everything in moderation, and it depends on the childs age and the game, obviously certain games are only appropriate for certain ages. I don't have any problem with it. My 13 year old ADHD son has an xbox 360 and I'll admit that he plays it way too much, but there are way worse things he could be doing. I've always heard that Add/Adhd kids are extremely gifted at video games, my son is AWESOME! If your child was mine, I would let him play his games, especially those ones, they are totally age appropriate.
TinkerBell2013
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I let my 6 yr old son play his play station and his DS. He gets some many hours a week to play it. I do let him play it at the drs office. I dont see anything wrong with letting them play with there games. 

DDDaysh
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Everything in moderation - TV is actually worse than the video games in many ways.  

Video games ARE bad for ADHD kids because they get them used to a high level of stimulation.  It makes it even harder for them to then focus on anything that doesn't have that level of sensory input.  If your trying to teach your kid to be able to focus on the lesson a teacher is presenting, giving their brain tons of high stimulation all the time isn't good.  

At the same time, because they are so "high stim", they can be very good teaching tools for kids with ADHD.  So, it's a double edged sword.  

I would put serious limits on your child's screen time of any type.  You want him to be able to learn to entertain himself well, for long periods of time, with books, colors, blocks, etc.  But a small amount of video game time most days (think 30 minutes) is probably fine, and using a video game for several hours every once in a while, like on car trips or sitting in a doctor's office, won't hurt him.  

tludwig
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I find I have to limit my son's game time because he tends to hyper focus on what ever game he is into.  All he will do is talk about that game and every conversation will revolve around what is going on in that game.  We allow video games on the weekends only during the school year because of this.  But he will get to play educational games on the computer ocassionally during the week.

Becky119
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I let my my 7yr old play video games only I. Friday, saturday and Sunday and only a certain amount of time and certain games. Not during school days because it stimulates him to much. But this world is so much about about electronics Theres no way around it u have to do what works for you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
21lisa72
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I never had a problem with this it always helped my son concentrate, non of our mds programs ever made comments about that and what should we do-homework?  Thats still a knock down drag out battle for us because my son who is turnin 13 this month and he seriously feels stupid and fears failure.  But we have his nitch Hockey.  He started at 7 and made goalie this past year!  He has extreme concentration when playing and takes the game so serious!  I am so proud of him!  I would buy him the game, our kids are not freaks they deserve a break from mainstream and the games do require concentration!  Mds can have their opinions but as moms we know our kids best, let him be a kid and identify like kids his age!  So much is a struggle for them I dont know about you but I feel guilty sometimes and over compensite!  Oh well thats life!

lazyd
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I don't see what was wrong with him playing Sesame Street!  Yes, video games and tv are bad for ALL kids!  My son has adhd/odd/severe anxiety and he plays his tablet & xbox 360 waaaayyyy toooo much!  (I know that's MY fault) BUT its the only way i can get my son to sit in one place for any amount of time.  AND my son plays halo and minecraft games - which are worse and have more violence.  So your son playing sesame street is NOT bad at all.  Yes, kids with adhd are better video game players cuz they like and need that fast stimulation, but they can get over stimulated playing too much and can ignore the world around them.  But other "normal" kids can get overstimulated doing other things too.  Just as long as you limit the time and the time it takes for doctors appts is a fine enough time while your son is waiting for the doctor, than your son needs to put the electronics away while the doctor is in the room to engage with the doctor (which im sure he did). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)