Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

questions regarding testing

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 239 Total Views

Im confused about this law regarding IQ tests not being prohibited on African American students someone just told me that my dd diagnosis of ADHD may not even be valid because certain tests are prohibited and my dd is half AA here is the link it really doesnt make any sense to me

http://www.rcselpa.org/docs/policies/Section%20III%20Evaluations/III.h%20Guidelines%20for%20Assessing%20African-American%20Students.pdf

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ChristieV
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
It is my understanding that IQ and ADHD have nothing to do with eachother. There is no true test for ADHD, just a judgement based on behavior. Usually teachers and caregivers/parents complete questionnaires rating the child's behavior and the psychologist or whomever issuing the diagnosis goes by that.

I had heard that there was controversy over certain standardized tests leaning in the favor of "white upper/middle class" kids, but didn't realize the extent. I think the assumption was that these children had advantages or more exposure to books and a larger vocabulary, but really, there are a lot of white people with money who don't do a good job reading to their kids. Odd.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Quoting ChristieV:

It is my understanding that IQ and ADHD have nothing to do with eachother. There is no true test for ADHD, just a judgement based on behavior. Usually teachers and caregivers/parents complete questionnaires rating the child's behavior and the psychologist or whomever issuing the diagnosis goes by that.

I had heard that there was controversy over certain standardized tests leaning in the favor of "white upper/middle class" kids, but didn't realize the extent. I think the assumption was that these children had advantages or more exposure to books and a larger vocabulary, but really, there are a lot of white people with money who don't do a good job reading to their kids. Odd.

I agree with the adhd and iq having nothing to do with each other.

as far as the iq tests, i could see how in the 70s a school system would use such a test to segregate out AA students and put them in classrooms that were dead-end

MsLogansMommy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I have done a ton of research on ADHD and I also agree that ADHD has nothing to do with IQ my question was since an IQ test was done in diagnosing my dd with ADHD (it was done to rule out mental retardation I was told it is standard when diagnosing ADHD to administer an IQ test to make sure the child has the mental capacity) is her diagnosis going to be considered invalid since it included tests that are prohibited on AA children and my dd is half AA  

Quoting ChristieV:

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

It says 1970s. My son has had the Wechsler. I think the bias is not so much race as boys being diagnosed when girls are overlooked.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)