Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 158 Total Views

Just wondering. My son is in his 3rd year of Cub Scouts. He loves it. But it seems as if most of the kids have ADHD or LD or are somewhere on the autism spectrum. What's your experience?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TwilightMom815
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM
It's the same here, i love it more because they understand more and are supportive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Both of mine were in scouts.     DD enjoyed until end of elementary years and wanted out.  wasn't cool anymore.   DS stayed in until he finished high school  and got his Eagle Rank.      in his troop there was all spectrum of kids.     Looking back many were adhd..  some I am sure were aspergers.   you could watch them mature and almost figure out who they would become.   it was amazing to see how the scouting experince helped them mature.   learn leadership skills.      

Catherine 
There is no MD after my name..  
 I am just a mom with years of experience raising ADHD kids.... LOL

lovinmybug2006
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I am Cubmaster of our pack but just started this year. I have noticed there are several ADHD/Autistic/Aspergers kids who are involved in Scouting, but not the majority I don't believe. I do feel it is a great opportunity for the kids who are because it is very structured and this is what they need. There is a very specific outline for meetings, just like in a classroom, and a very specific set of rules they must follow for outings. My son loves going each week and I am positive this is going to be a great experience for him.

Becky119
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM
I have no experience with this but I'm thinking about it now :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaclynd
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM
We started cub scouts this year and we like it. DS is a bit wild, but they all are. I think it's good for him to be around other kids and doing fun activities. And being in a group is helpful becasue then it's not just him that has to act a certain way but everyone and they learn and model for each other.
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM

His den of 3rd graders has 8 kids. He and 2 others are medicated. So, that's not most, but it's definitely a big amount! They are all very hyper when together. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)