Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby can't sleep, he's taking methylphenidate

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 217 Total Views

Okay, he's my almost 11 year old "baby" lol. He's taking methylphenidate. He has been for about a year now. But recently (like the past week or so) he hasn't been able to sleep. He said when he lays down and closes his eyes, they won't stay closed. The poor kid. We've tried bathtime w/lavender, milk, turkey sandwich, going to bed earlier, staying up LATE until he was tired. Nothing. I get up at 5:00am to get ready for work. I woke up and there he was, sitting at the table eating a bowl of cereal.

Some nights DH checks on him when he gets home (2-3am) and he has been awake some of those nights. I don't know if it's the medication, or something else going on, but it's scaring me. Should I tell the doctor and get him off?

This medication has been the only one that has worked as far as not making him feel "weird" at all, and our insurance doesn't cover any other kinds besides that and the ones that make him feel weird.

Help?!?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lazyd
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Ask your son if there is anything going on at school.  Your son could be having educational issues or peer issues and having anxiety, which is preventing him from sleeping.  My son was on clonidine from about 4yo to 10yo to help him go to sleep and stay asleep.  Now he takes about 3mg of melatonin (cuz it's non prescrip and cheaper) to help him fall asleep.  The only side effect for my son is that now he is a heavy sleeper so he wears pullups at night cuz sometimes it is hard to get him up to go to the bathroom, but if your DH comes home between 2 n 3, than that would be a perfect time to get your son up to use the bathroom.  My son never was/is a sleeper.  No matter how late we keep him up, he gets up before the birds/worms!  LOL!  My son is usually asleep by 9pm and up about 5am no matter how many drugs we give him!  LOL!  And no late night electronics!   

amandajoy21
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM

What time does he take his last dose of medicine? Methylphenidate is a stimulant - main ingredient in speed but in a higher dose. Try elminating his last dose of medication or moving it to earlier in the day and see if he can sleep at night. One of my friends who is an RN recommends melatonin as a natural way to help sleep. Here is some information on melatonin http://www.livestrong.com/article/455517-use-of-melatonin-for-adhd-in-children/ and it can be bought at any drug store. She occassionally uses it to get her son, 10, with autism to settle down for the night and fall asleep if he can't calm himself down.

lovinmybug2006
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

We give our son 6mg of Melatonin each night to help him sleep; he gets it 30 minutes before bedtime. It is completely natural as your body produces it to aid with sleep. A lot of times in ADHD kids, their body does not produce the proper amount to help them settle and sleep so supplementing helps. There are still nights he take a long time to go to sleep, but the majority of the time the Melatonin works well.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Quoting lovinmybug2006:

We give our son 6mg of Melatonin each night to help him sleep; he gets it 30 minutes before bedtime. It is completely natural as your body produces it to aid with sleep. A lot of times in ADHD kids, their body does not produce the proper amount to help them settle and sleep so supplementing helps. There are still nights he take a long time to go to sleep, but the majority of the time the Melatonin works well.

yeap. melatonin and of course a lot of exercise before bed, although its hard to get in the winter...

momof3jam
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:45 AM

It's a 24 hour dose, so he takes it at 8am. Maybe if he takes a smaller dose, twice a day? I've heard of melatonin helping with sleep, but I've never looked into it. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out!

Quoting amandajoy21:

What time does he take his last dose of medicine? Methylphenidate is a stimulant - main ingredient in speed but in a higher dose. Try elminating his last dose of medication or moving it to earlier in the day and see if he can sleep at night. One of my friends who is an RN recommends melatonin as a natural way to help sleep. Here is some information on melatonin http://www.livestrong.com/article/455517-use-of-melatonin-for-adhd-in-children/ and it can be bought at any drug store. She occassionally uses it to get her son, 10, with autism to settle down for the night and fall asleep if he can't calm himself down.

amandajoy21
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Worth talking to your doctor about since it is causing him insomnia

Quoting momof3jam:

It's a 24 hour dose, so he takes it at 8am. Maybe if he takes a smaller dose, twice a day? I've heard of melatonin helping with sleep, but I've never looked into it. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out!

Quoting amandajoy21:

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/amandajoy21
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)