Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really adhd

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 220 Total Views
As i read so many posts on here about the long drawn out eval stage to get diagnosed... It wasnt like that for us, now im questioning if we are wrong. Son has seen the doctor most of his life, i finally made an appointment to start discussing behavior... Moving a bit farther back, at age 2 i walked out of a psychologist office bc he told me he was adhd, since well he was 2 and u dont dx that early... Anyway he said hes glad i want to discuss and immediatly wanted to start adhd meds, i wasnt ready.. Later ended up starting them though. Now he has seen my son at his and all of his brothers appts for yrs, so he knows my son.. We have talked so much, even in passing in the office... And he has adhd himself, so im not sure if he jumped the gun or if hes just that good... Meds do help, alot.. Teachers have agreed.. And i sorta do too. He sent us to a behavior coach bc i wasnt ready for meds, she also agreed after 1 visit but he was too young for what she saw at the time. Here we are yrs later, on meds, with some improvement. My concern is the meds... Am i apropriatly medicating my child? Is he just too hyper and we need to be stricter or is he truly adhd
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
HeathersRich
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM
If you have 2 doctors that say yes it's possible. You said he has siblings with it. is his behavior similar? How old is he now? How long has he been on meds? I have a 12 year old who was diagnosed with ADHD at 7. We have also been told ODD and Mood disorder. Good be more to it. I also have a 2 year old that I suspect has ADHD but like you said she is to young to diagnosis. At 4 we will see a psych if she is still this active/showing signs. We'll medicate when school starts if that's what's best for her. Follow your intuition. Sometimes moms really do know best!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kerrylee39
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM
His brothers are babies, no they arent adhd, at least not yet... He will be 9 in 2 weeks. Kindergarden teacher always made comments, 1st grade on meds... 3rd now. He really isnt terrible with behaviors but talks and bounces constantly... Sometime i think theres some depression too and others hes fine... Still think it may be normal kid as far as that goes... He has friends but is small so i think he gets picked on...for example, he seemed down when i picked him up today but after a but he was his smiley goofy self praising his 2 year old brother for all the "good deeds" he was doing... I guess im afraid the meds will hurt long term. The counselor mentioned the odd because i would tell him something and he would telk me no... But he doesnt do that now.. It was like a month long phase... As far as mood, i worry there is some depression... Not sure why its worry... I work in mental health and know how much support is out there..but he is generally happy, so i dont think its time to go down that path yet.. Sometimes i wonder if my working in the field makes me hypersensitive to everything and im overreacting?

Quoting HeathersRich:

If you have 2 doctors that say yes it's possible. You said he has siblings with it. is his behavior similar? How old is he now? How long has he been on meds? I have a 12 year old who was diagnosed with ADHD at 7. We have also been told ODD and Mood disorder. Good be more to it. I also have a 2 year old that I suspect has ADHD but like you said she is to young to diagnosis. At 4 we will see a psych if she is still this active/showing signs. We'll medicate when school starts if that's what's best for her. Follow your intuition. Sometimes moms really do know best!

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Im kinda thinking your son truly DOES have ADHD because my experience with my ADHD son are almost exactly the same as yours. His ped. referred us to a child psychiatrist because he could see that something was going on with my son. At our 1st appt. my son was only 2 yrs 4 months old and that day the psych "unofficially" diagnosed him with ADHD and started him on meds. My son is now almost 14, but almost from birth he was out of control a lot. It took a few years and probably about 5 med changes to find one that worked but didnt have really bad side effects. Hes always had all the signs and symptoms of ADHD. When he started school, his teachers have ALWAYS been able to tell the diff of if hes on meds or not. When he was younger, I could see a big difference too, mostly just calmer. Hes pretty much outgrown the hyper part, thank God, but even now, HE can even tell the diff. like if he forgets to take his pill, school is much harder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kerrylee39
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Do you mind me asking what med worked best for your son? Mines on adderal and thats been the best we have tried for him. Vyvanse made him terribly violent... The others just didnt work as well

Quoting ashleighmama:

Im kinda thinking your son truly DOES have ADHD because my experience with my ADHD son are almost exactly the same as yours. His ped. referred us to a child psychiatrist because he could see that something was going on with my son. At our 1st appt. my son was only 2 yrs 4 months old and that day the psych "unofficially" diagnosed him with ADHD and started him on meds. My son is now almost 14, but almost from birth he was out of control a lot. It took a few years and probably about 5 med changes to find one that worked but didnt have really bad side effects. Hes always had all the signs and symptoms of ADHD. When he started school, his teachers have ALWAYS been able to tell the diff of if hes on meds or not. When he was younger, I could see a big difference too, mostly just calmer. Hes pretty much outgrown the hyper part, thank God, but even now, HE can even tell the diff. like if he forgets to take his pill, school is much harder.

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:52 AM

If it is ADHD, then the meds will help. If there's no effect, then it's not ADHD. Kind of backward, but there's no blood test. We use Daytrana, which the whole family LOVES. If he thinks he hasn't been patched, he will ask about it.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Sure. A couple weeks ago he started Vyvanse, 1st on 20 mg for 10 days and just yesterday went to 30 mg. So far so good. His drs have always started with a pretty low dose and would SLOWLY raise it, sometimes hes sensitive to the stimulants. Like, right before Vyvanse he was on Adderall xr for about 3 yrs and most of that time he stayed on a really small dose for his height and weight. His dr was always surprised that as he grew, esp. going through puberty, that he was always needing the mgs raised. But then maybe 6 months ago he told me he felt it need to be raised, that even though he was on it, it felt like he wasnt. I think dr. only raised it from like 10 mg up to 20 mg, which dr said was still really low dose, but I noticed right away that I no longer really LIKED my son when he got home from school, he had turned into an ass, for lack of a better word. So at last appt. his dr said that YES, Adderall will cause that. It sucks because for so long it worked great. Hes been on so many meds, usually switching

Quoting kerrylee39:

Do you mind me asking what med worked best for your son? Mines on adderal and thats been the best we have tried for him. Vyvanse made him terribly violent... The others just didnt work as well

Quoting ashleighmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Because they just didnt work. Sorry it cut me off, Im mobile. Straterra made him MORE hyper. Ritalin worked ok for a while and then just kinda stopped. The very 1st med he was ever on was a tiny dose of Dexadrine, but it literally knocked him out. He went from being a super active 2yr old to falling asleep literally IN his food on his high chair tray. Before the Vyvanse, dr gave him Dexadrine again, she said chemically it was the LEAST likely to cause him to be an ass in the afternoon, but it needed a prior auth for ins as its not on their formulary. I called dr and told her and instead of doing prior auth she gave him Vyvanse, like I said, so far so good, but? Its just really a trial and error process until you find the right med that DOES work, but doesnt have unbearable side effects. I feel bad for him, like hes a guinea pig, but unfortunately you dont know if a med is any good until you actually try it. Its tough mama, and its kind of a long road, I know, hang in there, hugs!

Quoting kerrylee39:

Quoting ashleighmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kerrylee39
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Thanks alot... Hes on adderal xr 15 mg twice a day, but im giving him 10xr in afternoon just to use it up... Hes really grumpy in the morning but not thinking its meds bc its before he gets it/before its in his system. I think he just doesnt like to get up. Ususually he comes around and actually has had really good mornings lately... I guess i just worry bout the meds, if theres more, if we are doing the right thing....i know he is better on it. He hates the pills, but hes crazy without them!!! I hope with age it gets better, but im not all that optimistic. One thing im noticing now that school is a little bit more critical thinking, he gets very frustrated very quick.... Ive just been trying to help him work through it, hoping if we get him over the hump, itll get better (i was the same way). Have your doctors every suggested a "drug holiday?" I keep hearing it so the body doesnt keep needing more, but so far our dr is very much against it, stating your body doesnt build a tolerance but every 6 mnths he seems to need more???? And its not like hes growing (hes small). Thanks again for taking time to respond... Im a worrier.. Lol

Quoting ashleighmama:

Because they just didnt work. Sorry it cut me off, Im mobile. Straterra made him MORE hyper. Ritalin worked ok for a while and then just kinda stopped. The very 1st med he was ever on was a tiny dose of Dexadrine, but it literally knocked him out. He went from being a super active 2yr old to falling asleep literally IN his food on his high chair tray. Before the Vyvanse, dr gave him Dexadrine again, she said chemically it was the LEAST likely to cause him to be an ass in the afternoon, but it needed a prior auth for ins as its not on their formulary. I called dr and told her and instead of doing prior auth she gave him Vyvanse, like I said, so far so good, but? Its just really a trial and error process until you find the right med that DOES work, but doesnt have unbearable side effects. I feel bad for him, like hes a guinea pig, but unfortunately you dont know if a med is any good until you actually try it. Its tough mama, and its kind of a long road, I know, hang in there, hugs!

Quoting kerrylee39:

Quoting ashleighmama:

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Daytrana is a patch. Just one reason we love it. No rebound for us either. He did start at 10 mg and is now at 15 mg with only a minor weight gain. I think he just metabolizes it quickly. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)