Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finally a good nights sleep!!!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 197 Total Views
My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 4. We started medicating her when she started school and ever since she hasn't been able to sleep through the night. Going to sleep was never the issue, it was staying asleep. We have had her on clonidine, kapvay(just another type of clonidine), even adult doses of melatonin. Nothing has worked. She has been functioning on 3-4 hours of sleep for years. Her bedtime has always been 8pm, although we have tried later and later. She was sent to bed early the other night at 7 pm. And she slept through the night. I put her to bed at 7 since then and she has slept through the night everyday that she was asleep by 7:15. She is like a new child. Her behavior and her temperament is so much better. I think we got used to her waking up every night and didn't realize how much it was effecting her. Thank God she misbehaved that day to be sent to bed early. I would have never thought to put her to bed early.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
amandajoy21
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:03 PM

That great here's to hoping that this starts a new trend of good sleep for her.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Yes, we started to put our son to sleep later, like 9pm, hoping he would sleep in later, but nope!  I'm going back to 8pm, so at least he gets more hours of sleep.  Most of the time he is up between 5am n 6am.  Some mornings it was 4am.  He is 10 now, but even in the years past, we just let him watch tv and we set out a small bowl of "breakfast" food, along with clothing and he would turn the tv on, get dressed and eat something and not bother us and let us sleep!  My son hasnt slept since the day he was born!  He was also on clonidine for the longest time, just recently, like 9 months or so ago, we switched to melatonin, only 3mg, to help him get to sleep.  

PAM011904
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Yes my daughter takes the clonidine with 6 mg of melatonin and she still wakes up at 2 or 3 in the morning unless we put her to bed early. She's 9, so it was difficult to get her to bed at 7 when her 2 younger brothers are still up until 8.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TeaSchmid
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Wow, I'm jealous!

momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM

if she is on a stimulant med it makes perfect sense to me.       most people think the meds need to wear off before the child can sleep.  but with ADHDers it is the opposite.   they need to be in bed before it wears off and the rebound kicks in ...   I had to have my kids in bed early or they were up all night... Lol..     if you want to try letting her stay up later.. let her have a cup of tea or coffee..   caffeinated of course..   and see if  that lets her stay up later and still be able to sleep.   

PAM011904
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Her meds wear off around 5 pm. We tried another afternoon dose. But that was even worse. And we tried the staying up late with and without coffee. And it didn't matter how late she went to sleep, she would still wake up around 2 every night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KLAWRENCEADHD
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Momkelly is spot on...

There are several research studies in progress right now looking at this issue.  We used to think that we had to have the stimulants out of the system of the children before bedtime but why are they on the medications??? they are on the medications to help them slow down, focus and control their thinking processes.  What do we need to have them do at night so that they can fall asleep... slow down, focus and control their thinking.  So it stands to reason that having a little more stimulant on board may possibly HELP them fall asleep!  Clonidine is not really recommended for sleep as it is a short acting medication that has a high peak and while it can help the child fall asleep, it typically does not keep them asleep all night as it wears off too fast.  Kapvay is a great option as it avoids the severe spike and has a longer action time.  It is also a good option for rebound in the afternoon.  

Testing the theory of using stimulants before bed and how that might help/hurt sleeping.... Does your child fall asleep after drinking a caffine beverage late in the evening?  Most ADHD kids can and sometimes it makes it easier.  I am not recommending this as a trial but often adults find that they drink coffee or tea at night and it helps them fall asleep.  It is logical if you remember that the problem we are working on is an issue of neurotransmitters.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN