Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child with adhd do you spank when do something wrong?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 465 Total Views

i found when son little reward thing worked and taking away

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I have spanked him in the past but he laughed at me so I quit that quickly. My oldest is not adhd and spanking worked for major offesnses with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KLAWRENCEADHD
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Reward based discipline is what works best. It is hard to learn to do this but much more effective in the long run. It is how their brains are wired. Barkley has books on raising children with ADHD or explosive children that are a huge help to parents
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AMom29
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is Autistic and ADHD.  I've found that spanking is pointless.  Can't convince my husband of that, though.

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I didn't. DH did. Hasn't done it for months though. I agree that praise and rewards are better.

21lisa72
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

No, we go to therapy as a family and come up with ways for my son to behave and receive punishments in return- with positve reinforcemenent

jthompson1976
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:33 PM

i have older son adhd. more mild he can stay on task working has to be busy all time  except school woork. lol  he 16 hates school he does have alot friends   math very hard for him.  then i have 14 son add adhd  deprestion very hard time with socal hard time making friends. very good in math  gets good grades  have to prop him alot to get any thing done   then there is my daugther  she 9  she has asbergers w hyper trades.. bless her heart she dont get in trouble at school they dont have any trouble.   some times better go with flow in life

boppysmom2007
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Where can u find these books because i struggle with disipline and the whole adhd diagnoses

Quoting KLAWRENCEADHD:

Reward based discipline is what works best. It is hard to learn to do this but much more effective in the long run. It is how their brains are wired. Barkley has books on raising children with ADHD or explosive children that are a huge help to parents

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Spanking and time outs never worked for my son.  He could care less that we "punished" him.  We would hold him in "time outs" for hours while he raged on than as soon as he calmed down (hours later), he would go right back to doing what he wasnt suppose to be doing in the first place!  Taking away things that my son loves works best - toys, electronics, etc.  

Proce3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I could never strike a child..... not that the thought hasn't crossed my mind. I just can't do it and neither can my husband. I think its because both of us got the "belt" as kids and we both felt it was extreme.

ChristieV
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Using physical violence to show that something is wrong teaches that striking someone when they do something wrong is the way to solve problems. So no, we don't spank. The only thing that works for our son is taking away video game time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)