Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your child have to have a EKG before given Meds for ADHD?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 342 Total Views

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Nope. We don't have any congenital heart problems in our family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CHDMommy3
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Yes but my DS has a CHD.

TwilightMom815
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Yes plus a eeg and bloodwork
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM
No, he didnt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boppysmom2007
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM

We had one done they said that with adhd meds and more for stimulants that its better so they can check in a year to make sure everything is still going good 

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Yes, we had one when my son was like 4yo before we starting him on meds.  He is almost 11 and we have never gone back for another one.  His doctor just checks his blood pressure every time we go see her to refill his meds.  They just want to check the heart and stuff to make sure nothing is wrong before hand.  

momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

no...   should they?   maybe..   and it can't hurt really.   if something shows up they know earlier and can address it.

would they have found my son's heart issue  then, maybe..   maybe not.   Did the meds cause it to show up sonner..   We don't think so, but who knows.   do I regret meds?  no.

starinmysky
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

My son's neurologist said he will not give a prescription unless a child sees a cardiologist.  Another doctor I took my son to, just handed me a prescription and never even weighed my son or anything.  I think it is safest to see a cardiologist.  If sudden death is a side effect, I would do anything to make sure my child is safe and that doesn't happen.

MamiJaAyla
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM

YES.  The doctor and I both believed it was important especially with my family history of cardiac issues I was born with a "funky" heart and my mother has electrical issues and his other gma has had triple bypass).

We did it and now the ins. has refused to cover and the dr. is appealing it AGAIN.

PrdMomma84
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I am new to this whole diagnosis so don't know much. My son have been taking the generic form of Ritalin 5mg since last week Saturday. His doc has said to start him on 1/2 pill twice a day, and then one full pill in the morning once a day. I haven't seen a lot of change since. His teacher said she sees he controls some of his impulsiveness more then usual, but he is still throwing several temper tantrums throughout the day. He just went to see his doctor again this week for follow up and she said, maybe we can give him the full pill in the morning and then after his lunch give him another 1/2 pill. She said her goal is to give him less as possible. Doesn't make sense to me if you ask me, but maybe its just me. However my grandfather and uncle both had double or triple bypass surgery, (both had bad diabetes) and my sons doc said he should be alright on the medicine and didn't ask that he get a EKg ..I think i need to get him in to see a psychiatrist, maybe they would be better suited for this situation. i really dont know what to do in this matter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)