Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your child have to have a EKG before given Meds for ADHD?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Replies (11-17):
parkersmama08
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM
This, but his heart defect was found during an ekg and echo to get meds prescribed.

Quoting CHDMommy3:

Yes but my DS has a CHD.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMom29
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM
No.
MamiJaAyla
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

psychiatrist aren't nec. better.  It all depends on the doctor.  And yes she is right the lowest dose possible is best.  1. you don't want to zombie him out 2. they've actually proved that on too high a dose the child does not learn as well.  They may sit but they are not learning.

For impulsivity my ds takes intuiniv - its a non stimulant and works better for impulsivity.  He also takes Aderrall for concentration/focus.  With him we decided impulsivity was his biggest issue and started there and only later did we add in the adderall for focus.  He actually started the add at UNDER the lowest recommended dose and only after a month or so did we go up.  He's now at 10mg which is the typical start point and he's a tall 9 yr. old.

With any medicine its good to be cautious and go slow.

The other thing I'd recomend is to add in some type of therapy.  Not talk therapy but cognitive/behavioral therapy... this helps with the impulse control and other strong feelings.  OUr kids tend to be immature period. And often its hard for them to know what to do with all those strong emotions. 

Behavior therapy combined with meds when needed is what studies show has had the best life results for our kids.

Good luck.

MamiJaAyla
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Re: the double / triple bypass and diabetes.  Usually double/triples have to do with clogged up arteries etc. which is not usually related to a congenital heart defect.  Also although for a while it was recomended that all kids starting on stimulants have an EKG... they later came up with no not really and its not cost effective/worth it... so a lot of ins. are not covering.

Like ours... which is refusing.  I think at that point its up to you.  You can ask for it and see if it will be covered.  As I explained for ME it was imporant b/c there is an incidence of congenital heart defects/issues in our family... namely myself and my mothers tachychardia is an electrical problem which was only triggered later in life but due to a congenital weakness (or possibly rhemotoid fever as a child they have not been able to lock it down - but it did not show up until almost 60yrs. old)

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Not specifically for medication, no.  He'd had a few earlier in his life, along with a heart sonogram because of murmurs. 

KnLsMomma
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Yes, my husband has CHD. Our doctor said the meds could bring out any undiagnosed heart problems in our son.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I didn't have to

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)