Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Report Card Day

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 530 Total Views

I received my 2nd grader's first semester report card and I'm frustrated and disappointed. He did well academically but  earned unsatisfactory in obeying class rules, responsible for behavior and accepts authority. The teacher comments were that he as the ability to do better if he apples himself and his disruptive behavior interferes with his learning. I know that the above our due to ADHD however he scores above average on standardized tests. It's very frustrations to determine if its ADHD or defiance. 

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Is he medicated? My son had behavior problems in K. He was medicated for first and then he was a behavior star, even earned a certificate one quarter!

mrspena
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:37 AM
My nephew got his yesterday. Hes in the 4th grade. It said the same thing. He got mostly 2s and 3s. It said he is diong very well but needs to focus and could do better. Im so confused...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rhett2
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM

He received a med evaluation and they determined medication was not an great option for him because of his test results and grades. He receives A's and B's however requires constant redirection.

amandajoy21
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Do you notice these behaviors else where because it could just be a problem with the teacher and her expectations? I would set up a conference with the teacher and sit down and see when these problems occur and if she has noticed any special circumstances when this happens. Work with the teacher to develop a behavior agreement between her and your son. It might be time to have him reevaluated for medications.

Gambrell
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I am in the same boat ladies , My 8 yr old son has not been officially diagnosed . He is a great student as far as grades go -- 5 A's and 1 B since 1st grade ,.....but his memory , concentration , listening skills , talking in class is not so good . I JUST DON'T GET IT ,....how can this be ?
momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM

because our ADHD kids are also some of the brightest minds God Created.     if you all would like to look at supplements..   let me know weight, age and any meds..   and I will ballpark doses of"

fish oil
Tyrosine
Vit C
Vit B complex
Magnesium
Calcium

if you are interested of course.    Supplements above do work..   with them I was able to get my kids off meds with them and they are healthy..     and as safe as I could find when I was starting my research...  

mimimom139
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM

It has taking years, like about six, but my daughter is not only getting good marks for behavior, but she's been on "Honor Roll" all school year so far this year. Hang in there. If you work hand in hand with not just her teacher, but the school officials, and her doctor(s) things will get better with time. There have been times when we've had to be tough with the school officials. Once they understand that you mean business, they will bend over backwards to work with you.  It truely is a joint effort.

Gambrell
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM

@momkelly2 , he is 8 years old 60 pounds ,..we are currently taking 500 mg of ultimate fish oil in the morning and 500 mg of calcium at night along with 1mg of melatonin 

jthompson1976
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

my son is now 14. i remember he would act out i always had teacher running out the school tell us some thing neg again every day   some of it was stupid little things i told that teacher just 1 time sure would be nice to hear some thing positive for change   when kids hear neg all the time can lead to depression . it not some thing any one wants a child to go threw.. i remember my son had Principal in k  latter had her again in 4rth grade at another school  she told him  right in front of me i hope your not as bad as you  use to be...  my son cried said mom I'm so tired of ppl saying that...

momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

try the following..    for a few weeks to a month and see how he does. 

keep the same  for now   fish oil
500mg Tyrosine 
500- Vit C
1/2 of a Vit B-50  complex
keep the same for now.  Calcium

if you have questions .. Please do not hesitate to ask..   I don't mind..  and in fact I am glad when  I get questions..    makes me think...  

Quoting Gambrell:

@momkelly2 , he is 8 years old 60 pounds ,..we are currently taking 500 mg of ultimate fish oil in the morning and 500 mg of calcium at night along with 1mg of melatonin 

Catherine 
There is no MD after my name..  
 I am just a mom with years of experience raising ADHD kids.... LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)