Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I received my 2nd grader's first semester report card and I'm frustrated and disappointed. He did well academically but  earned unsatisfactory in obeying class rules, responsible for behavior and accepts authority. The teacher comments were that he as the ability to do better if he apples himself and his disruptive behavior interferes with his learning. I know that the above our due to ADHD however he scores above average on standardized tests. It's very frustrations to determine if its ADHD or defiance. 

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Replies (11-18):
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rhett2:
He received a med evaluation and they determined medication was not an great option for him because of his test results and grades. He receives A's and B's however requires constant redirection.

I don't understand this reasoning. Trouble focusing is trouble focusing. Being smart enough to do well anyway is great. But how much better could he be doing if he had help? My son has always been great academically. Even in Kindergarten, when he was not medicated and had behavior issues, he was at the top academically. He is medicated because it makes his quality of life better not to be getting yelled at all the time for behavior he can't control.

Gambrell
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
@momkelly2 Thanks so much ! I will keep you posted .
Gambrell
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Thank you !

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Quoting Verrine:

Quoting rhett2:
He received a med evaluation and they determined medication was not an great option for him because of his test results and grades. He receives A's and B's however requires constant redirection.

I don't understand this reasoning. Trouble focusing is trouble focusing. Being smart enough to do well anyway is great. But how much better could he be doing if he had help? My son has always been great academically. Even in Kindergarten, when he was not medicated and had behavior issues, he was at the top academically. He is medicated because it makes his quality of life better not to be getting yelled at all the time for behavior he can't control.

Exactly. Self-esteem in the end is what is most important, i think... i would get a second opinion. Hugs mom

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Currently you have a teacher who is giving your child negative feedback at his job all day. That is an awful feeling. If medicating him can make her react positively to him, then it is worthwhile.

nomadbrat83
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM
What does his grades have to do with meds? My daughter is in gifted classes and gets good grades and is medicated.

Quoting rhett2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Gambrell
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

So far ,so good with supplements Momkelly2 THANKS AGAIN !!! (Still working on concentration in class , but he is much calmer than before ) , .....what are your thoughts on using Dr Mercola's Krill oil instead of the Omega Fish oil  . I read the Krill oil is even better for ADHD ,.. Whatta ya think 😄

momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Okay did some looking around..   I actually like the idea of them..   then your question made me go look a little deeper..    and well you would have to  change the dose..  but it was hard to find information on a direct equivalent  ..   and I can   go hunt up the dose and calculate what to give. 

however to my surprise..  there are issues around Krill Oil...    not bad ones actually, but  dollar for dollar fish oil in the end is as good for a lot less money..    you can keep it in the refrigerator  to help with the taste  and or burping if that is an issue..   but   who knew..    plain old basic fish oil  is fine.  

if you like I will calculate krill oil..  but  from what I have just read...    I wouldn't bother with the added expense...   let me know..

Quoting Gambrell:

So far ,so good with supplements Momkelly2 THANKS AGAIN !!! (Still working on concentration in class , but he is much calmer than before ) , .....what are your thoughts on using Dr Mercola's Krill oil instead of the Omega Fish oil  . I read the Krill oil is even better for ADHD ,.. Whatta ya think 😄

Catherine 
There is no MD after my name..  
 I am just a mom with years of experience raising ADHD kids.... LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)