Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child's teacher make accommodations without being asked?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 161 Total Views

I think that good teachers do this naturally. I went into my son's 3rd grade classroom. On his desk, he has a taped reminder of what to do in the morning. There is a LOT. There is also a reminder that on Tuesdays, he has an afterschool club meeting. I didn't notice these things on the other children's desks, although she said that some children had them. She also gives him extra time to finish things because she knows that makes him anxious. 

The teacher didn't realize that he is medicated for ADHD, even though she filled out an evaluation for the doctor. I think that with medication, he is on the absent-minded end of normal. She has watched his behavior gradually improve and likes having him in her class. 

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
wintersdaughter
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM
My daughter's first grade teacher is amazing and helps with a lot of things that I've never even thought of. I love it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM

That is awesome! Ds is only in pre-k. B/c he is in a SN class, i think the accomodations are universal to all the kids there.

amandajoy21
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My sons' kindergarten teacher is awesome too! She has been helping him learn the material through extra attention and she gives us good resources to use over the weekend and to help him with homework. She makes a lot of the accommodations for the whole class so he isn't singled out, but is getting the help he needs. She allows him to stand and move around the room as long as he doesn't disturb the other kids.

Becky119
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I had a lot of problems last year when my son was in kindergarten! But his first grade teacher is the best and she's so supportive of him. I swear everytime I see her I want to hug her! She's great :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Well he's in preschool and has an iep so I guess no LOL. They have to make accomodations for him because of that. Heis in general eeducation because he's got behavior problems and they wanted him to have positive peer role models which has been great. I actually want his teachers to treat him like everyone else because the world isn't going to accomodate his needs in life. He needs to learn that early. He just uses a weighted lap pad during circle and table time and uses a wrist weight when writing/drawing because he has intention tremors in both hands. He may need other things once in elementary just because there is a lot more sitting work but for now he doesn't need much!

I should add that he has 2 awesome teachers who just Love him how he is and are very supportive of him when he needs it but are also willing to lay down the law when he's being unreasonable or defiant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN