Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you have a colicky baby?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 242 Total Views

Study: Fussy Babies Linked to ADHD Risk

Researchers Say Excessive Crying, Sleeping Problems in Infants May Be Linked to Behavioral Problems
By
WebMD Health News

father consoling crying baby

April 20, 2011 -- Babies who cry excessively and have difficulty sleeping and feeding may be at increased risk for behavioral problems during childhood, including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), a study shows.

Close to 20% of all babies show signs of “regulatory issues” such as persistent crying, sleeping issues, and feeding problems during the first year of life. Most of the time these symptoms are transient and infants adjust by the time they reach preschool.

But “those with persistent regulatory problems in families with other problems may require early interventions to minimize or prevent the long-term consequences of infant regulatory problems,” concludes study researcher Mirja Helen Hemmi of the University of Basel, Switzerland.

The new findings appear online in the Archives of Disease in Childhood.

Researchers analyzed 22 studies that looked at infant regulatory problems in 1,935 children. Ten of these studies looked at the consequences of excessive crying, four looked at sleeping problems, three concerned infant feeding issues, and five studies focused on babies with multiple regulatory issues.

Risk of behavioral problems was highest among infants who experienced problems in several categories. Most commonly, these problems were linked to ADHD and externalizing behavioral issues such as aggressive or destructive behavior and/or temper tantrums. ADHD is a behavioral disorder marked by impulsiveness, hyperactivity, and inattention.

Those who were at greatest risk for behavioral problems as children were also more likely to be from troubled families, including those with psychosocial problems and problems interacting with each other.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

i did. he got better around 5 months but was always a "difficult" baby and toddler and now preschooler :/

ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh yea. He cried incessantly for the first 8-10mo. Never slept, ate a lot but hated bf. Ugh. Now at 4, he still doesn't sleep without Melatonin and still has at least 2-3 major meltdowns everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This looks like one of those places where the article is attempting to assert causation when it seems like that it is simply a correlation.  

I really don't know what to answer about this.  DS had feeding and sleeping problems, but those were related to other issues like reflux, asthma, and tonsil problems.  I don't think we had problems with him crying excessively, but that might have been because we couldn't LET him cry very much because he would start turning blue due to his breathing issues.  

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Quoting DDDaysh:

This looks like one of those places where the article is attempting to assert causation when it seems like that it is simply a correlation.  

I really don't know what to answer about this.  DS had feeding and sleeping problems, but those were related to other issues like reflux, asthma, and tonsil problems.  I don't think we had problems with him crying excessively, but that might have been because we couldn't LET him cry very much because he would start turning blue due to his breathing issues.  

i didn't let ds cry very much either but during nighttimes b/w 5p and 7p it was tough...

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Ah, my son was pretty much fine as long as he was being held and nursed or fed.  He used to eat CONSTANTLY though, and then throw everything up...  When the doctor finally started him on Zantac and that stopped, it was such a relief. 

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting DDDaysh:

i didn't let ds cry very much either but during nighttimes b/w 5p and 7p it was tough...

momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

both my kids were colicy... and both are adhd.. but that is also where questions come in.  

DD had run of the mill, average colic.   and she is adhd EXTREEM!!   DS had sever colic..  some days crying 20 out of 24 hours a day..  blood curdling screams.. type of colic..  and he is more average ADHD.   much less hyper than DD.  and has learned to control impulses better.   

now that the control factor, could also be because he was the 2nd child and I Iearned to teach him better..  and at an earlier age than DD...   no way to tell now.    

so I am not sure how it relates.     I have Grand Nephew who was very colic...   but is not hyper..  his brother...   wowha!!!!    nothing beyond normal colic..  VERY Hyper!!!     cute as the dickens.. but VERY hyper!

so not sure what to interpret here.

Katenemsmom
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
K was a difficult baby, but not colic. Just needy. She did not sleep through the night until 18 months and I'm not convinced she slept but got up and played and went back to sleep. Even now at age 7 I do not think she sleeps through the night, although we are able to get her to bed without melatonin which is good.

I quit my job when she was six months old. I could not work and take care of her. I was exhausted.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My kid was great. If he fussed, it was because he was hungry or wet or tired and even then not much. He slept fine and ate fine and was on track with all developmental milestones. Also, we are a very stable family.

Gee, with all that going for him, I can't guess how poorly adapted he'd be if he had all those risk factors! LOL.

ScrChk23
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Sounds like my SS. He is 2...... I have been in his life since he was 4 months old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)