Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when they are bouncing off the walls?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a 5-year-old boy that has moderate Autism and ADHD.  He is on Adderall (10mg) and Tenex (1mg).  We settled on this mix (for now) after trying Ritalin, which made him emotional.

Some days the medicine doesn't seem like it does anything, though.  He's literally bouncing off the walls and furniture.  He tends to hyperfocus/obsess over certain things, and throws unholy fits/melts down when he doesn't get his way.

He doesn't slow down for anything on those days.  We just went through about a week of this.  His preschool teacher was very concerned, as he was having more meltdowns at school than what they were used to.  We were tearing our hair out -- he was climbing on the kitchen counters to get things he wanted, on his headboard then jumping on to his bed, running all over the family room, etc. 

Now, we gave him Monday off the meds to see if there was a difference (he didn't have school Thur - Mon).  We couldn't tell anything different, but on Tuesday (back on meds and back to school) he seemed calmer, even wanting my husband to hold/hug him, which is very rare for him (he's not a big cuddler unless he's sick).  Wednesday, he was back to his normal behavior, which is extremely active, just less intense than what was described above.

Does anyone else have days like this?  What do you do, except want to run and hide?  :)

Thanks.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Replies (21-22):
jthompson1976
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

hugs i hope things get better. its tuff being a mom and having to go all this stuff... hang in there hugs

jthompson1976
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM

im planning a birthday party next week for my daugther i hope kids show up this time...  she so excited thats all she has talked about

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN