Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers Business

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 325 Total Views
My sons teacher sends home daily reports on his behavior, well the other day was a bad day for him and she sent home the report saying what had went wrong. She then went on to ask if we were still giving him his medication. Well this offended me, I don't feel like it's her business if we medicate him or not. We do, he gets 5mg generic adderall every morning. That's it, that's all I'm comfortable with. I know she wants to suggest we give him more, the school is the only reason I'm even giving him medication. I'm trying to teach him how to control his ADHD without the use of a bunch of meds. I feel like the school just wants us to medicate him so he can sit there and be a little zombie that they don't have to deal with him..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Hmm I'm sorry you're dealing with that. My son takes 7.5mg at 8&12 and 2.5mg at 4. If he doesn't get his 12 meds than he has a rebound and acts worse than usual. My sons teachers know he's on meds and I let them know if they change or if he misses a dose etc.

Anyway I hope that your sons teachers don't want him to be a zombie. My son can't function at all without his meds. So when he's on them he acts almost calm LOL. He still has a very hard time sitting for class work and keeping his hands to himself.

Good luck with everything!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tludwig
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Been there.  I totally agree with you on trying to teach them how to cope and control without tons of meds.  I know for some kids that is not an option but if it is I think it's important.  I've had teachers suggest meds when my son's grades are straight As because she didn't think he was focusing enough - Very frustrating - I think some think its a magic pill and have never looked into the side effects and know how scarey it is as a mother to be giving your child these drugs just to try and make them what everyone else perceives is "normal"

21lisa72
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Sometimes I dont think certain teacers get it, want to get it or really want to hel[p  our adhd kids.  Before my son had an IEP and I had him dx with adhd through a local college program but wasforgoing meds at first he was on a behavioral plan first, I dont think the k teacher had the patientce for him with a large class.  I got negative notes  daily, when we came for special programs he was always isolated with his desk in the corner or next to her making it obvious to parents he wasnot behaved, we would get looks from them and the kids would say Brett is bad.  I wanted to cry.  Parties and large groupedactivities upset him.  The following year we finally got the IEP and I put him on meds which made a world of good.  The older grades 2nd + were much more pleasant , kinder and helped him alot.

This year grade 6 (due to being hed back in K part of trying to get IEP) he just turned 13 we have had a few problems not sure if age related or med related

Good luck-my son has never been gorked out on meds he does seem to out grow them with groth spurts then we need a change.  We just started family conceling, he doesnt participate much.  It helps us but when we are at home he will say "Remember what Mindi said-our counceler).  I hink it takes a special mom to raise an adhd child.  Frustrating at times but I wouldnt change it for the world!

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM
2 moms liked this

A teacher has to try to instruct 25 kids and cannot spend her whole time focused on your child. If there is something that he could take that would help him, then it makes sense for him to take it. You may feel that the teacher is overstepping, but in the end whether he learns something or not only affects his success. It does not matter how you feel. You can be all sorts of offended by the teacher or by what I'm saying. In the end, you need to ask yourself whether you could do something different to help your child. She is asking because she thinks that he could do more. She sees more potential in him. Don't you want to help him realize it? 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Quoting Verrine:

A teacher has to try to instruct 25 kids and cannot spend her whole time focused on your child. If there is something that he could take that would help him, then it makes sense for him to take it. You may feel that the teacher is overstepping, but in the end whether he learns something or not only affects his success. It does not matter how you feel. You can be all sorts of offended by the teacher or by what I'm saying. In the end, you need to ask yourself whether you could do something different to help your child. She is asking because she thinks that he could do more. She sees more potential in him. Don't you want to help him realize it? 

In general, I have to say, I agree momma.

However, I won't venture to guess *why* the teacher was asking for meds. Giving her the benefit of the doubt and seeing her in the most positive light, she might be asking b/c as Verrie says, she sees potential in him and wants to help him. But its also not out of the question that she just wants him to sit still and not have to deal with his behavior issues. She probably doesn't have an aide that can help.

Usually, a mix of behavioral intervention plan and meds work best. So, add (demand, maybe with an IEP) more behavioral intervention techniques like another aide in the classroom. Maybe more breaks (exercise types) in between work periods. Things of this nature.

Is his adderall immediate release (IR) (also called 'regular') or extended release (XR)? Maybe I would look into XR 5mg and that might help him.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's teachers have asked.  It is important for them to know if his behavior is caused by something that has changed because it helps them figure out how to address the problem.  

And really, if you're so anti-school that you really think they want to turn your child into a zombie, why do you send him?  The school wants your child to succeed, and to do that he has to be able to participate in class.  That's all they want for him.  

MsLogansMommy
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:53 AM

this is kind of similar to what I was going to say but here is my question I agree somewhat with OP about it really not being the teachers place to tell her how to parent her child and I actually really really like my dd teacher but if she suggested I medicate my child I would be offended (and it is also inappropriate for a teacher to suggest that) however if you are medicating your child then the teacher actually does have a right to know in case there are side effects or an emergency happens and emergency personnel need to know that info etc. I agree and disagree with the statement about teachers wanting us to medicate cause they just dont want to deal with our adhd kids (heck sometimes I dont want to deal with my adhd kid lol) I feel like I have noticed so many more children as young as kinder are being suspended and having to do behavior charts etc. it does seem like a little more training for teachers on adhd and other conditions couldnt hurt kwim. Then on the other hand I feel like (and maybe this is because i really like dd teacher) I cant expect the teacher to take so much time away from the other kids because of my dd constant disruptions if I was a parent of one of the other kids I would be resentful that one child is disrupting so much of my childs education but what can we do? Homeschooling isnt always an option open to everyone I am a single mom there is no way I could afford to stay home and homeschool my dd and if my dd is disruptive and gets suspended then I have to leave work and I need the money I discipline as best as I can at home I am consistant I do my part I am not an irresponsible mom so what is the solution my dd is very distracted and has trouble focusing and has frequent outbursts Im completely at a loss her as to what the solution is

Quoting Verrine:

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

this is kind of similar to what I was going to say but here is my question I agree somewhat with OP about it really not being the teachers place to tell her how to parent her child and I actually really really like my dd teacher but if she suggested I medicate my child I would be offended (and it is also inappropriate for a teacher to suggest that) however if you are medicating your child then the teacher actually does have a right to know in case there are side effects or an emergency happens and emergency personnel need to know that info etc. I agree and disagree with the statement about teachers wanting us to medicate cause they just dont want to deal with our adhd kids (heck sometimes I dont want to deal with my adhd kid lol) I feel like I have noticed so many more children as young as kinder are being suspended and having to do behavior charts etc. it does seem like a little more training for teachers on adhd and other conditions couldnt hurt kwim.

I know exactly what you mean. Yes, all school should increase behavioral therapy techniques in all classrooms with all teachers. Teachers should be paid to go to professional development until they get their techniques -- that have been tried and tested -- down pat!

Then on the other hand I feel like (and maybe this is because i really like dd teacher) I cant expect the teacher to take so much time away from the other kids because of my dd constant disruptions if I was a parent of one of the other kids I would be resentful that one child is disrupting so much of my childs education but what can we do?

We can add more support in the classroom is what we can do. Hire more behaviorists, OTs, STs, teachers, and teacher assistants. These behaviors have been documented and there is known consensus on what to do. Not only will it help our ADHD kiddos, it will help ALL kiddos.

Homeschooling isnt always an option open to everyone I am a single mom there is no way I could afford to stay home and homeschool my dd and if my dd is disruptive and gets suspended then I have to leave work and I need the money I discipline as best as I can at home I am consistant I do my part I am not an irresponsible mom so what is the solution my dd is very distracted and has trouble focusing and has frequent outbursts Im completely at a loss her as to what the solution is

Quoting Verrine:

AMom29
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Sorry, I disagree. I had to inform them originally because he had to have a dose with lunch, but it's good to inform them so they know.  What if something were to happen at school and they need to get him medical attention?  I was also asked about any medicine he's on because they wanted to include it on the IEP.  Not as a requirement for the IEP, but to document it. 

My school is not pressuring us to keep him on meds. With our recent problems, though, they have asked me if he's still on meds because he's returned to the same behaviors BEFORE he started the meds. 

peanutmom
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

when my son was 5, 5mg was his dose.  by the time he was 7-8 years old, he'd gone up to 7.5mg.  I chose to work as a team with my son's teacher and his doctor to help him succeed.  The medication and classroom accommodations (in the form of an IEP or 504 Plan) are tools to level the playing field so he can succceed. I always wrote an email to my son's teacher before school started, letting him/her know about my son's gifts, talents, passions, AND his challenges.  I also shared that he was on medication. Over time, I realized that when his behavior changed at school,  I talked to the teacher about the accommodatons first--each year those needed to be adjusted because of the changing demands at school) if the accommodations were still helping, I spoke to his doctor.  Only after I'd done those things did I consider adjusting his medication. Typically, every other year, the medication was adjusted--unless he went through a big growth spurt--then it might have been adjusted sooner.  

One of the big things I did before he started medication was to change my parenting strategies, got rid of processed foods, upped his protein intake, and THEN talked to his doctor...telling him what strategies I used (and recommended to his teacher, too) and talked to the doctor about the behaviors that were still challenging for my son, and asked what medication would help him with those behaviors.  

In addition, he only takes medication on school days, never on weekends or school breaks.  It helps him focus for school--home is less structured and medication isn't needed.

Each child with ADHD is different. Their challenges are different, so their medication, accommodations, and strategies (both parenting and at school) are different.  The medication and the dosage that works for every child is different. Some families are able to control a child's symptoms with diet alone--others need the help of medication.   

Best of luck to you and your family!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)