Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sons teacher sends home daily reports on his behavior, well the other day was a bad day for him and she sent home the report saying what had went wrong. She then went on to ask if we were still giving him his medication. Well this offended me, I don't feel like it's her business if we medicate him or not. We do, he gets 5mg generic adderall every morning. That's it, that's all I'm comfortable with. I know she wants to suggest we give him more, the school is the only reason I'm even giving him medication. I'm trying to teach him how to control his ADHD without the use of a bunch of meds. I feel like the school just wants us to medicate him so he can sit there and be a little zombie that they don't have to deal with him..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Replies (11-11):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting peanutmom:

when my son was 5, 5mg was his dose.  by the time he was 7-8 years old, he'd gone up to 7.5mg.  I chose to work as a team with my son's teacher and his doctor to help him succeed.  The medication and classroom accommodations (in the form of an IEP or 504 Plan) are tools to level the playing field so he can succceed. I always wrote an email to my son's teacher before school started, letting him/her know about my son's gifts, talents, passions, AND his challenges.  I also shared that he was on medication. Over time, I realized that when his behavior changed at school,  I talked to the teacher about the accommodatons first--each year those needed to be adjusted because of the changing demands at school) if the accommodations were still helping, I spoke to his doctor.  Only after I'd done those things did I consider adjusting his medication. Typically, every other year, the medication was adjusted--unless he went through a big growth spurt--then it might have been adjusted sooner.  

One of the big things I did before he started medication was to change my parenting strategies, got rid of processed foods, upped his protein intake, and THEN talked to his doctor...telling him what strategies I used (and recommended to his teacher, too) and talked to the doctor about the behaviors that were still challenging for my son, and asked what medication would help him with those behaviors.  

In addition, he only takes medication on school days, never on weekends or school breaks.  It helps him focus for school--home is less structured and medication isn't needed.

Each child with ADHD is different. Their challenges are different, so their medication, accommodations, and strategies (both parenting and at school) are different.  The medication and the dosage that works for every child is different. Some families are able to control a child's symptoms with diet alone--others need the help of medication.   

Best of luck to you and your family!

Just wanted to say, I always love your replies.

One, they are always very balanced.

And two, they help me so much!

Thank you :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)