Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my little 4 year old monster ran away

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 329 Total Views

on sat we  were with my mum and dad having  lunch in a kinds open subway in middle of shopping center. he was there one sec and gone the next he 4 but he so fast . we looked around and in shops for 5 min then told security he tried to find him for another 5 min then called the police . we had 10 police offers and 5 security all looking for him i was freaking out after 20 mins . he was found 40 min after going missing by a women and he was ages away from us she took him to the police station i was so glad to here he was safe but so mad at him when i heard how far he was away from us 

have any of you had/got runners

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM

The last post I read from you, you said he hasn't been on meds yet, right?

My son is/was a runner. On meds less so. But he doesn't run too far away with or without meds. Every kid is different. Also, if I remember, you told me he was hyper.

Here's some good news. Combined type, boys, ADHD is very treatable with meds AND they have a higher probability of outgrowing the ADHD than inattentive types. My kid is more of an inattentive type, though sometimes "bouncy"... anyways...

As for the running away, I think I would get a "wrist leash"

My mom and dad had one of those when I was a kid. I got distracted and quietly wandered off a lot... LOL 

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

my son was a runner/wanderer when he was 2 to 4 and we had a leash for him.

feralkitten
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM

no were not using med and dr and us agreed to not even talk about meds till he 7 

normal we use rains but now he 4 most dont fit him we do have a wrist strap and i'm gona see if he can get used to it but so far he hurting him self on it :/

amandajoy21
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM

My son normally is pretty good about staying with me, but that is because I make a big deal about running off. He did that once in a crowded walmart and got a 5 minute talking to about why it upsets me when he runs and what could happen when he runs.

feralkitten
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM

we tryed every thing. we taken stuff off him , strapped him in buggies , yelled at him you name it we tried it 

but tbh half the time he see something and go to see it he seams unaware how far he gos or how worried we are. when i often find him he smiles and says look mummy at the butterfly. and look shocked i'm so mad. we been trying to teach him since he was two but nothing we do works even my friend who works with kids has tryed even she says its like he not aware he ran away 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting feralkitten:

we tryed every thing. we taken stuff off him , strapped him in buggies , yelled at him you name it we tried it 

but tbh half the time he see something and go to see it he seams unaware how far he gos or how worried we are. when i often find him he smiles and says look mummy at the butterfly. and look shocked i'm so mad. we been trying to teach him since he was two but nothing we do works even my friend who works with kids has tryed even she says its like he not aware he ran away 

Yeah, its not intentional or malicious on his part. Poor little guy, in my humble opinion, i dont really think he can help it. You just need to grow eight pairs of eyes and have good sprinting legs to run after him :/

I hope the wrist rope can be made comfortable for him.

You might reward him for putting it on and every 2 min for keeping it on, like with an m&m or half a gummy bear. (this is ABA technique. some people don't like it but i have found concrete little rewards with mountains, over the top praise to be super effective)

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I think I told you before, but he's gorgeous! :)

ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM
My son was a runner but with meds he's better. I still have to keep a very close eye on him but he runs maliciously because he is extremely defiant. Anyway the meds have at least made him slow down enough to listen to me when I yell. He had a leash that went on like a backpack until he was 3.5. He's 4 now and if I take him to the mall or something he holds my hand or we go to the car. It took a lot of consistency with that but it eventually clicked and now he's really good about holding my hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
feralkitten
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

I think I told you before, but he's gorgeous! :)

thank you i think he well aware he cute lol he used his cuteness on everyone and get away with loads at nursery and stuff lol . kids love him to
AMom29
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

As for the running away, I think I would get a "wrist leash"

My mom and dad had one of those when I was a kid. I got distracted and quietly wandered off a lot... LOL 

I have the harness type for my son.  It goes around his chest and the "leash" part hooks to his back.  He does pretty good with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN