Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my little 4 year old monster ran away

Posted by   + Show Post

on sat we  were with my mum and dad having  lunch in a kinds open subway in middle of shopping center. he was there one sec and gone the next he 4 but he so fast . we looked around and in shops for 5 min then told security he tried to find him for another 5 min then called the police . we had 10 police offers and 5 security all looking for him i was freaking out after 20 mins . he was found 40 min after going missing by a women and he was ages away from us she took him to the police station i was so glad to here he was safe but so mad at him when i heard how far he was away from us 

have any of you had/got runners

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Replies (11-14):
hmmedasst
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM

First off praise God you found him.

My 5 1/2 year old Autistic/ADHD son is a runner also.  When he was about 3 he ran from me and ran out of our apartments and across a major street at 7:30 in the morning.  Thank God the cars all stopped and he was not hurt, I passed out and fell at the end of our driveway out of fear.  We did some intensive walking therapy with him.  At that time I used a harness (Dog) with a leash every time we went any where.  Stays with me pretty much now.  But still has tendancy to run if he gets irritated or mad.

Recently about 2 weeks ago my son, now 51/2 wanted to go to my babysitters house to get her daughter. It was 10 pm, We were all in bed I didn't hear him get up.  He unlocked 2 deadbolts, both keyed, opened the door ran down our area in front of our apparrtments out that same driveway up the major street to the next complex where the sitter lives through their complex to there apartment.  Freeked us all out.  When they brought him home a couple minutes later and told me what he had done I was so much in shock I couldn't even cry untill a couple hours later.  Needless to say I now have an alarm on my door to wake me up and an additional flip lock on the top of the door.

In your situation I would opt for the wrist leash/ or harness when you are out in public.  Good luck and praise God you son has angels wathching over him, as does mine.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Quoting feralkitten:

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

I think I told you before, but he's gorgeous! :)

thank you i think he well aware he cute lol he used his cuteness on everyone and get away with loads at nursery and stuff lol . kids love him to

ahahaha

My little guy takes off his outer clothes and keeps his long johns on and says, "now i'm nice and comfy"

He puts on his outer shirt on and says, "now i'm handsome" :)

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM

My kid is surprisingly good at staying with a grown-up considering I still wander off! Might be fear of being left behind LOL.

Next time, before you go anywhere, write your phone number on him and tell him to show someone if he notices that mom isn't around. He won't care about that part, but eventually a security guard or someone will ask. Also, tell him to go ask for help from someone in uniform or a mom with a kid.

Search under "Child Alarm." There's one on Amazon with a cartoon animal and one on http://www.streetdefender.com/ in silver, light blue or purple. $15. You wear one half. The kid wears the other half. You set the range and if the transmitter goes outside that range you get vibration and an alarm. That doesn't stop the kid from taking off his necklace, but it doesn't sound like yours is devious and it's worth a try. 

IOWAMOM88
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Yes.  My son liked to run off.   We used  wrist leash.   It kept him safe and me sane.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)