Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how are we going to pay?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 286 Total Views
So we finaly found a combination of meds thst workd for our son. But since we have a high deductible his meds are going to be $500 a month. Plus $200 a month to go to his psychiatrist and another $200 each time he sees his therapist. To me none of these things are optional and while the psychiatrist and therapist will take payments they don't like to.how sad is it that I wish someone in our family needed to go into the hospital for a couple of days so we can meet are insurance deductible? At least they would accept payments... the pharmacy will not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ruthallen
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM
and that includes a discount from the pharmaceutical company.
ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Look into state medical. You may qualify even if you are over the income limits because he needs services and meds. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Go to a place with a sliding fee scale for therapy. Is state Medicaid a option.?
momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

do you have an HSA savings  account? if not look into it.     if offered by your or his employer you can use that money to pay for the meds and appointments.   

usually the first year bites.   but it is before taxes so  you benefit on two levels.    years ago before I ever heard of HSA accounts  I found that if you put aside the difference an 80/20 policy costs each month and what your High deductable insure costs a month,   you have most if not all, of your deductible in the bank to help cover cost.    and with an HSA account the money is  tax free and  lowers your taxable income.   You might want to look into it

the year before I switched a coworker  and I both had surgery.  She had   a high deductible insurance.    I had 80/20.  In the end   I paid much more out of pocket than she did, because none of the co-pays  are part of your out of pocket deductible tht you have to reach before you are coverec 100%...   so I  paid like $900 more  than she did,  that never counted towards my deductible!!   never again..   Lesson learned. 

Catherine 
There is no MD after my name..  
 I am just a mom with years of experience raising ADHD kids.... LOL

ruthallen
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I do have an HSA, but each month there is justabout eough to cover the meds each month, and we have never been able to get ahead of the bills. plus we usd our savings last year and tax return this year, to pay for him to attend a behavior school (that was $700 a week until the deductiable was met.) We were/are almost ot of debt from some credit cards we used to live on when I lost my job while I was pregant. (5 years ago).

The HSA is great if I could mak payments to everyone, but everyone wants their money now...  

*edit*

and thank you foryour tips, I also got burned on my insurance choic last year. But the plan I had last year had a reimbursment account so that money if there on JAn first... helped so much withRX' but not in the long run.

Quoting momkelly2:

do you have an HSA savings  account? if not look into it.     if offered by your or his employer you can use that money to pay for the meds and appointments.   

usually the first year bites.   but it is before taxes so  you benefit on two levels.    years ago before I ever heard of HSA accounts  I found that if you put aside the difference an 80/20 policy costs each month and what your High deductable insure costs a month,   you have most if not all, of your deductible in the bank to help cover cost.    and with an HSA account the money is  tax free and  lowers your taxable income.   You might want to look into it

the year before I switched a coworker  and I both had surgery.  She had   a high deductible insurance.    I had 80/20.  In the end   I paid much more out of pocket than she did, because none of the co-pays  are part of your out of pocket deductible tht you have to reach before you are coverec 100%...   so I  paid like $900 more  than she did,  that never counted towards my deductible!!   never again..   Lesson learned. 

nomadbrat83
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM

*Hugs* We have a high deductible and only reached it this year because I had lithrotripsy and DD had an ER visit along with normal doctor visits.  Even with deductible reached, we still pay 200 a month in medications for DD.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I deduct money out of my check every single time to put in an HSA.  My son's meds are over $300/month so without that I'd never be able to budget for it. 

ruthallen
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Thats what I do also, but I can only put so much in each year (and that amount is only a little higher then the deductiable) and what is going in is not enough to pay for the meds and all the other apoitments each month. We actualy got very lucky this week and my husband got a bonus we did not expect so we got the meds and gas for the cars. :-)
Quoting DDDaysh:

I deduct money out of my check every single time to put in an HSA.  My son's meds are over $300/month so without that I'd never be able to budget for it. 

JulesFairy
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Im not totally sure i understand everything but the only advice i have is to look into mail order meds. Since they dont have the cost of brick and mortar buildings they are usually much cheaper
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Are you using an FSA or an HSA?  The FSA limits are kinda low, but the HSA limits are pretty high.  How large is your deductible? 

Quoting ruthallen:

Thats what I do also, but I can only put so much in each year (and that amount is only a little higher then the deductiable) and what is going in is not enough to pay for the meds and all the other apoitments each month. We actualy got very lucky this week and my husband got a bonus we did not expect so we got the meds and gas for the cars. :-)
Quoting DDDaysh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)