Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you get you kid to stand still to get dressed

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 185 Total Views

robb only 4 but every day getting him dressed is like a sport event he can do it mostly himself but he got to do laps of the house and jump on stuff and all he got on is a t-shirt we can never get out the house in less than 30 -50 min with him !  and when you yell at him to get dressed he says " I AM LOOK " and show you the one thing on 

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ruthallen
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM
try giving him a challenge set a timer for 5 minutes if he's dressed he gets some kind of treat. Our 6 year old gets 50 cents if he gets up and gets dressed without a reminder then it drops to 25 cents and then no payment if he has to be reminded twice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Mine was like that until we started meds. He still has to be reminded over and over but it usually only lasts 15-20min now instead of an hour.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I still help my kid get dressed. Mine is the opposite almost. He's always limpy and laying down. I give him a DHA gummy for each piece of clothing he puts on and then i give him lots of praise for each article of clothing.

I think it takes us an hr from start to finish, includng me getting dressed, him getting dressed, packing breakfast(we eat breakfast on the go) making sure I have everything I need - phone , purse, keys, his bookbag and winter jackets and gloves of course :) Its a relay every morning -- thats for sure!

Mrs.Bolin
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Mallory is 4 also. I get firm and swat her butt if i have too. She listens. I can tell when its the adhd or she is just being a brat and not listening.

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Sticker charts?

Mine is 8 and still gets distracted while getting dressed. It would take 5 minutes but not if he lays on the floor!

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Yep, my son starts to get dressed and wanders away with one sock on!  He'll be 11 in May, it never gets any better unless you stand there hovering over him making sure he doesnt move before he is completely dressed.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN