Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having more kids.

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 181 Total Views

Poll

Question: Worry about having another child with ADHD?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

My husband has been talking about how he would like to have another child, but I don't know if I could handle two children with ADHD. I have always wanted to have two children so it isn't a matter of not wanting another child. Don't get me wrong I love my son and appreciate him for who he is, but somedays it is so stressful managing him and his behavior and don't know how I would handle a second child with those difficulties.

My DH also has ADHD so somedays I have to remind him to do things because he doesn't want to use the tools to help him remember or he doesn't remember to use them consistently.

Did you worry about having another child with ADHD? How did you overcome those fears?

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/amandajoy21
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommatojos
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM

oh heck ya! it sounds bad to say but It crosses my mind that I will have another child with ADHD and it scares me. side note I have a husband with add and an eight year old girl with ADHD. sometimes it feels like I have two kids now!

HeathersRich
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:10 PM
I have a 12 year old with ADHD/ODD. He's very difficult right now. I also have a 2.5 year old which I suspect might be also. If not the terrible two's are ten fold with her. I think my want for a second child and subconsciously a girl out weighted my fear of dealing with 2 ADHD kids. I have it, UN diagnosed and it's a double edged sword. I somedays think I want just 1 more but if I have another child with these issues I think I'd lose what's left of my sanity. I think my baby girl might be the baby forever. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

lol   I had both of mine before I knew anything about ADHD.    she wasn't 2 before I was carring my son.   

truth is I would have done it anyway.. I wanted two and it didn't matter.    I had concerns.   she was active (putting it mildly.. and I was hypothyroid..  and wasn't sure how I could handle two...    but I didn't want her to be an only child.   so I had a second child.    and I was exhausted  and I worked full time.   

ya can't tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor.. he gave two  ADHD kids to a hypothyroid mom..  

but  the truth is  you learn to cope.. you learn to do it for them.. and some tricks I tried that worked..  to be honest were  for my own survival!    but..  so many things I tried worked or at least helped.     so no regrets. ... lol  

ruthallen
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM

We don't because we haave the only 2 kids we are ever going to have.... there is no way I could handle more than the 2 we have.... no way.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Had my son been first, I would not have had another child, but my daughter was first and was such an easy baby, than my adhd/odd/severe anxiety son was born 3 1/2 yrs later and he never slept and slept in his car seat (in his crib) for the first year and had bad stomach problems and i could just go on and on....my son will be turning 11 in may and going to middle school (6th) grade in the fall and he doesnt even want to go to school anymore.  He would quit school now and live at home for the rest of his life!  LOL!  How old is your son now?  I dont know, if you have the resources and help from family than you might make it out alive with having another child!   LOL!

amandajoy21
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

He is six and our closest family lives 3.5 hours away so we don't get a lot of support from them.

ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I have considered it and if I have another with adhd I may forgo my dream of having four but as of now, I could handle handle another with adhd. It would be tough, but my son will be 5 before another baby came along and my oldest would be 7 and he is very helpful. Idk I just wouldn't want 3 with adhd lol. My Df has it but went without meds his whole life. It was tough for him but he ended up with a bachelor's so. I will definitely have at least one more though. I will reevaluate after the next lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Honesty, I don't eally worry so much about having another child with ADHD as I do about simply not being able to be a good parent to both DS and another child. 

DACIA79
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM
My son has ADD outside of being easily distracted he is a wonderful well behaved child and a honor roll student so I'm not worried and I'm pregnant now 15 weeks so I'm not going to stress about it.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I want another kid too. My son is 4 yrs old, only one so far. In terms of parenting I can handle it, but, I am planning on sending my son to a special needs private school that costs an arm and a leg. If it weren't for the expense, i would in a heart beat.

My son is very manageable. He is more challenging than most kids, but manageable. That's my take on him and anyone whose taken care of him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)