Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meds all around?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 251 Total Views

I'm new to the world of actually taking care of my problems with ADHD. I self-medicated for years with nicotine and just over a year ago I quit smoking, which then brought on all of the symptoms I had suppressed for years while I was smoking. December 2012 I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with adult ADHD and I have been on meds since. I am a full time student and mother of 2 beautiful children. A 9 year old boy, Alexander, and a 4 year old girl, Maggie.

My son was diagnosed in February with ADD and is also on meds. He wasn't that kid that was horrible, but I saw he was struggeling and wanted to get him some help. He would tell me stories, but was very easily sidetracked with other thoughts. In is future, I see him being able to control all of this without medication. That is my goal for him. But if he alwasy needs it, that is fine too.

My dear daughter, oh boy. She can be in mid sentence, and suddenly she's gone. Example: "Mommy, I waaaaannnnnnnnnt...........Oh, MOM you should have seen.......oh yeah, I want a PB&J!" I am trying new things and trying to take things out of our diets.

I want to try the Feingold Diet, but from what I've seen it scares me. We have tried our hardest to eliminate RED 40 from our diets, as well as anything with Aspartame in it (i.e. diet pop, some yogurts, crystal light, artificial sweetners, and yes some koolaids as well).

My fiance was just recently diagnosed with ADD as well, which is a good thing I think.....I hope. I was ready to hurt him for a minute....=)

Does anyone else have a house full of ADHD/ADD? If so, how do you cope?

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boppysmom2007
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM

OMG hang in there i have always though i had adhd never went to get a dianoses yet but robert has it and he does the samething as your little girl

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM
I dont have ADHD, but my 14 yr old son has had it forever. Im 41 and a 16 was diagnosed with major depression, Ive been on meds ever since then. I also think my hubby has depression, though he refuses to get help for it. So, while not all ADD/ADHD, we are all kinda ill in our own way. Im also looking into getting my 8 yr old son tested for ADD. Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I keep aspartame out of my kids diet even before he was dx'd with adhd. The docs told me not to take it while pregnant and then I read in an article or book (can't remember) that kids shouldn't take it until they were in their 20's cause thats when the brain stops forming.

Anyways, I have an apt tomorrow actually with a psychiatrist b/c i am pretty sure i have adhd. I don't know how severe mine is but i have been "self-medicating" with diet pills. They contain amphetemines which is similar to adderall.

My son has adhd and his is pretty severe :(

He takes adderall and it helps but there are still issues :(

sunshine5705
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM

We do. Our biggest challenge is managing rebound periods. It is stressful if everyones meds are wearing off at the same time.

MarciaD
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Do try the Feingold diet. There's plenty of help and, while it can be overwhelming at first, you'll find it very manageable.

Katenemsmom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Wow! I can't even imagine. I think just one is hard to handle.
clmsmom
by on May. 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Oh wow. Don't you have a lot going on? My son is ADHD and I suspect I am also. I have never been diagnosed but a LOT of what I see in my son fits me as well. My husband has no issues that I know of other than he's just a grouch. :-)

Bottom line is that regardless of what my husband thinks I ensure my son gets the foods he needs and the supplement he needs. I also started taking an Omega and following my sons diet. My husband eats what we do because he doesn't have a choice. I am not a short order cook. I will ensure he gets his goodies (brownies, cookies, etc) but me and my son avoid them.

I sweeten with honey and pretty much avoid all processed sugars and artificial sweeteners. Luckily my kid doesn't really have a huge sweet tooth. He will eat a pear before he will eat a piece of candy.

At least - on the bright side - if everyone in your family has it then the decision to go onto the Feingold Diet or ANY natural diet is a lot easier. In my case it has been difficult because my husband isn't and doesn't think it's fair that HE miss out on his favorite food so there are times where compromises just have to be made by all parties. Hugs! You sound committed and hopefully you all can find a diet/solution to help each and every one of you.

ilovemyson2002
by on May. 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM

ya my 10 year old has adhd and odd  and my boy friend has something too but dont  they r both on meds 

lazyd
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM

It runs in my family.  My grandmother had it, my mom, i did, my daughter and now my son - he has it the worst - maybe it's cuz he is the only boy with it in the family?  We were all on meds at one point.  My daughter and son still are.

MamiJaAyla
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM

ACDC ADHD Highway to Hey Look a Squirrel! Bumper Stickers

your post reminded me of this shirt.  I saw it on face book once and I have been giggling ever since when certain things happen... (i.e. above conversations.) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)