Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your dc have a speech delay?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

If so, did you suspect autism?

My son has a speech delay and meets the criteria for autism but his dev ped and I are on the fence about it.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeathersRich
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM
No not at all. Actually at 2 he had them vocabulary of a 7 year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Quoting HeathersRich:

I know you're just responding to the post and probably meant no harm in it, but, yeah, that makes me feel so much better :/

ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
My don didn't talk until 2 but he was right where he should be. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. Some of my sons docs think he might have a form of asd even though hid speech was normal. I haven't gone through with the diagnostic process because he's doing ok without the intensive therapies but if you feel your son has it, it will only benefit him to be dx and treated mama. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
21lisa72
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

my son has adhd everal learningdisabilities and speech delay-no sign of auism

nomadbrat83
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Why should that make you feel bad?  All kids with special need are different.  MY DD was like Heathers son, she was hyerverbal and articulate even at 15 months (she is actually in Gifted classes i Kindergarten), but she still has ADHD, SPD and a Mood Disorder NOS.  ADHD or Autisn is different i every child.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting HeathersRich:

I know you're just responding to the post and probably meant no harm in it, but, yeah, that makes me feel so much better :/

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
DS did and we did have suspicions, though honestly his speech issues probably had more to do with tonsil and breathing problems and were more about articulation. (He spoke all his vowels but threw constenants in at random).

What worried us more were his communication patterns which were decidedly odd but did not fit the stereotypical verbal autistic model. The typical pattern with young autistic children who are verbal is that they will respond to direct questions like, "do you want an apple?" But not initiate communication. DS was almost exactly the opposite. He would talk at you (sometimes even converse) when he wanted to explain something. He would talk about the weather, or dinosaurs in his book, or what train he was building, but would not answer questions. You might as him if he'd like milk or water and he'd just stare blankly at you.

In his evaluation he did come up as borderline Asperger's. It is something his doctors aren't sure what to do with either. On one hand, he makes eye contact and loves to be social and his ADHD is bad enough that it masks alot if his... Quirks.

But then we'll get his ADHD under control and you see all these other odd things about him and he'll seem really really aspie like. I guess it could be something other than Autism... But, so far, that is the explanation that makes the most sense and offers the most suggestions for how to manage behaviors and teach coping/adaptive skills. Since ASD's are so varied anyway, I am not sure it matters too much if he is REALLY "on the spectrum" or just has a very similar disorder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Xat
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

My son did have a speech delay. He didn't start talking until after his 3rd birthday and he has been diagnosed with autism. He is 7 now and his speech has improved but he still has a phonological delay which means he can talk but he sometimes has a hard time putting his words together to make sentences that people can understand.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Quoting nomadbrat83:

Why should that make you feel bad?  All kids with special need are different.  MY DD was like Heathers son, she was hyerverbal and articulate even at 15 months (she is actually in Gifted classes i Kindergarten), but she still has ADHD, SPD and a Mood Disorder NOS.  ADHD or Autisn is different i every child.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:
Quoting HeathersRich:

I know they are. I have adhd myself and never had a speech delay. I was just hoping to find that i wasn't alone, thats all. That my son is going to be okay, etc.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Quoting DDDaysh:

DS did and we did have suspicions, though honestly his speech issues probably had more to do with tonsil and breathing problems and were more about articulation. (He spoke all his vowels but threw constenants in at random).

What worried us more were his communication patterns which were decidedly odd but did not fit the stereotypical verbal autistic model. The typical pattern with young autistic children who are verbal is that they will respond to direct questions like, "do you want an apple?" But not initiate communication. DS was almost exactly the opposite. He would talk at you (sometimes even converse) when he wanted to explain something. He would talk about the weather, or dinosaurs in his book, or what train he was building, but would not answer questions. You might as him if he'd like milk or water and he'd just stare blankly at you.

In his evaluation he did come up as borderline Asperger's. It is something his doctors aren't sure what to do with either. On one hand, he makes eye contact and loves to be social and his ADHD is bad enough that it masks alot if his... Quirks.

But then we'll get his ADHD under control and you see all these other odd things about him and he'll seem really really aspie like. I guess it could be something other than Autism... But, so far, that is the explanation that makes the most sense and offers the most suggestions for how to manage behaviors and teach coping/adaptive skills. Since ASD's are so varied anyway, I am not sure it matters too much if he is REALLY "on the spectrum" or just has a very similar disorder.

My son is exactly the same way. I guess milestone wise, he always "just made it" with respect to language development. Like at two, he did have 2 to 3 word sentences -- just not at the same rate or nuanced or amount as his peers if that makes sense.

My dev ped said my son was "spectrumy." One explanation that seems to fit my son is that the stimulants cause his autistic tendencies to be accentuated though in terms of cost-benefit, its still more beneficial for him to take the stimulants. I think the tenex has helped balance the stimulants too.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Xat:

My son did have a speech delay. He didn't start talking until after his 3rd birthday and he has been diagnosed with autism. He is 7 now and his speech has improved but he still has a phonological delay which means he can talk but he sometimes has a hard time putting his words together to make sentences that people can understand.

I think he'll keep improving with time. If he's come this far, who knows all the good and great things he'll accomplish!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)