Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Diagnosed

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 188 Total Views

My 5yr old was just diagnosed, I'm researching natural ways to help her, her dr doesn't want to start meds till atleast age 6.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mrs.Bolin
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:25 AM

My daughter is 4 she will be 5 in july. She was diagnosed back in october. It was getting nutty at school with this kid. No doubt that she has it. Doc started with Ridlin and it made her crazy according to her teacher after being on it for a few days. They didnt want her back at school if she was still taking that. So our next option is Chlonodine which is a blood pressure med. Since she started taking that back in october it has been the winner. We have had to ajust it twice and bump up the dose a couple times but thats normal with it. She does so much better in school and has improved so much. She is ready for kindergarten this fall. Without the meds i dont think they would have accepted her. She was not focused on anything and couldnt help it. I hope you find something that works for your kiddo. Before i broke down and took her to get evaluated, i changed her diet. Did that for a while and nothing improved. All kids are different. Just google some info. There are lots of tips

feralkitten
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:35 AM

fish oils are what im trying on my 4 years old 

clmsmom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I have removed gluten, dairy, and dyes from my childs diet and added a high quality fish oil supplement. Huge improvement.

I should add that it didn't happen overnight. It took several weeks for things to actually start working and it was gradual - they symptoms don't go away fully but they are better - MUCH better and he continues to improve as the weeks progress.

~CHANDA~

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank-account was, the sort of  house I lived in, or the make of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child." -Author Unknown

ladyraven16
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM
We tried diet changes and fish oil as well as behavior therapy. Occupational therapy and chages in parenting. He wasn't getting better at all so I let him start meds when he turned 4. He startted on Ritalin and although it made a complete difference in him, he had to have the dosage upped 3 times. I decided to try Concerta and I'm not seeing the same effects as the Ritalin so we may have to go back but I'm going to give it another week or two. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kellileanne
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Thanks ladies, we have cut out chocolate and red dyes. She had a horrible Monday at school, then Tuesday and yesterday she has done great! We also cut out the stupid tv shows and stuck with only educational tv when she does watch it. Also I'm doing workbooks with her working on the letters she isn't writing as well. Hopefully it keeps going well. It is hard because my husband just wants to watch all these crappy cartoons and my daughter tells him she isn't allowed to watch it so he just sends her to her room instead of actually finding a better show. :-/
clmsmom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Quoting Kellileanne:

Thanks ladies, we have cut out chocolate and red dyes. She had a horrible Monday at school, then Tuesday and yesterday she has done great! We also cut out the stupid tv shows and stuck with only educational tv when she does watch it. Also I'm doing workbooks with her working on the letters she isn't writing as well. Hopefully it keeps going well. It is hard because my husband just wants to watch all these crappy cartoons and my daughter tells him she isn't allowed to watch it so he just sends her to her room instead of actually finding a better show. :-/

That's great! Yellow dyes are also a problem for a lot of children too. It's amazing how something so seemingly minor as dyes can have such a huge impact. The daycare gave my son mixed fruit with little cherries in them yesterday. Loaded with red dye and he had two servings..ugh...he was hyper, inattentive, and moody. I so hate those dyes.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that things continue to get better! Maybe consider the fish oil if you haven't. It's not that expensive. The brand I get is $14.00 a month and I get it through Amazon. They do have fish oil supplements for the little ones. The one I have my son on is gelcaps but I know you can get them in a chewable or gummy form. Just something to think about and try!

~CHANDA~

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank-account was, the sort of  house I lived in, or the make of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child." -Author Unknown

Kellileanne
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Quoting clmsmom:

Quoting Kellileanne:

That's great! Yellow dyes are also a problem for a lot of children too. It's amazing how something so seemingly minor as dyes can have such a huge impact. The daycare gave my son mixed fruit with little cherries in them yesterday. Loaded with red dye and he had two servings..ugh...he was hyper, inattentive, and moody. I so hate those dyes.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that things continue to get better! Maybe consider the fish oil if you haven't. It's not that expensive. The brand I get is $14.00 a month and I get it through Amazon. They do have fish oil supplements for the little ones. The one I have my son on is gelcaps but I know you can get them in a chewable or gummy form. Just something to think about and try!

Thank you, I'm trying to go to as much fresh foods as possible and cut out alot of processed crap.  Not sure if it is what is making the difference or it it is because of our talks about behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)