Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sports and meds

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 175 Total Views

Has anyone noticed a difference in sports performance when your child is on or off his medication? I noticed at my DS's track meets that he seems pretty quiet. All the other kids seem a lot more active. I was wondering if being off his meds would be better or worse.

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
21lisa72
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

My son has been on meds since about age 7, huge difference in school and behavior since.  He plays hockey and now has been goalie which requires alot of concentration and articulate movement, he does very good at it.  We tried several sports soccer, baseball but hockey was his sport.  I have read that alot of adhd kids do well at this because it is an agressive high energy sport.  It gives him positive feedback where in life he gets alot of negative. 

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

DS is not a very athletic kid.  I think he probably inheritted the lack of coordination from me though.  He's also not nearly aggressive enough for any of the sports we've tried. 

However, sports without meds are a total disaster.  He absolutely MUST be medicated to have any shot at making it through a whole game. 

ilovemyson2002
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

my son was in scoccer in door and out door and just stood around and was off n on meds

momkelly2
by Head Admin Catherine on May. 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

for my son it was a matter of loving the sport.   Basket ball he did very well even though he was short..  he was fast and the fast pace of the game suited him well..   But his true love was always Baseball...  still is.     Even though it was slower paced he loved it,  understood and took in the whole game.  When he was on the field he was with the ball no matter where it went his eyes did too.   in fact you could see him lean in the direction of the ball.       he was always thinking about where the ball was going and what should be done to make the play..        a few years later he was backing up every play... lol    he knew certin ones would likely miss..    and where he wouldn't take the play from them.. he was gonna be there to pick it up if they missed it.. lol..     he was like 8 years old..    and he run that field to death...     

but I think that is part of it too..  if they love it, they are in it.     whatever it is.    

funny the only sport he didn't like as a little kid was vollyball..  but he was so short it never came down to him ...  now of course he has played as an adult with friends and he likes it.   but he gets to be involved. 

but  your question was med related...  soory, to be honest I can't recall off meds vs on meds with him   and sports, that was far too many years ago... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN